Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building an amp....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eLsCorcHo, Mar 7, 2002.

1. 4x8's

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 2x10's

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. eLsCorcHo

eLsCorcHo

Mar 7, 2002
    Sammamish, WA
    Hello there guys...

My dad and I are going to build an amp together but we have come to a fork in the road....

Is it wiser to have a 100W amp pump into four 8's or two 10's? I mainly play Jazz and the amp that I use at school for the jazz band is a 150W? going through a 15 and I do love that sound (Peavy TKO). Basing what I would like to hear, which would be better? Oh, there is going to be a horn on it for the high end stuff btw.

thanks for reading...

2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I would go with the 2x10, but thats just me. I dont know whats better for jazz. What ever you go with im sure your gonna love it.Peace:cool:
    P.S. why dont you look into a 1x15 if you like the one at school.

3. ive got an ampeg 4x8's it sounds awesome, i prefer it over most 2x10's but i think you soulld look into the 15 and maybe a horn

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you LIKE the sound of the Peavey TKO? :eek:

well...i guess mine probably doesn't sound like a brand new one anymore....but it definitely doesn't sound pleasing to my ear.

i'd go with the 4x8's if you have a little more money to spend on speakers. you can get some nice 8's (eminence)

jason

5. I've always been a fan of 12's... even when they weren't popular. They have a much faster responce than 15's or 18's and yet don't sound as "modern" as 10's. So my vote is for a 2 x 12 cab. :p

6. I love mine for "Bedroom" bassing. But then I go downstairs and play through the ampeg setup, and realize that the peavey is very clean sounding. Would actually work great for a jazz gig.

MHO of course :)

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I actually like my schools Peavey KB300 better than their ampeg B100R. Kinda weird!

AS 1x15 would be easier to design than either a 2x10 or a 4x8. EV use to have plans to build a 15 with their speakers back in the eighties. I heard one one time and it sounded great! I don't remember much about it though. If you are interested I could ask the guy whats in it.

If you do go with 10s get some BAM speakers though! They rock. Thats what I ws working on before the Pro-2x10 came out. Again if your interested I can try and find the part number. They were about $100 each when I was looking at them though.

8. eLsCorcHo

eLsCorcHo

Mar 7, 2002
    Sammamish, WA
    Thanks for all of your input but my father got me a new used amp. A Crate "Vintage Tube 50" or something like that... a 3x10 two channel amp that sounds as if it's going to tear subspace with the volume up al the way. It's nifty. :D

Oh yeah... about that TKO... I hate it now. Tube just roxors transistor amps boxors.