building an amp....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eLsCorcHo, Mar 7, 2002.

1. 4x8's

1 vote(s)
  2. 2x10's

4 vote(s)
  1. eLsCorcHo

Mar 7, 2002
    Sammamish, WA
    Hello there guys...

My dad and I are going to build an amp together but we have come to a fork in the road....

Is it wiser to have a 100W amp pump into four 8's or two 10's? I mainly play Jazz and the amp that I use at school for the jazz band is a 150W? going through a 15 and I do love that sound (Peavy TKO). Basing what I would like to hear, which would be better? Oh, there is going to be a horn on it for the high end stuff btw.

thanks for reading...
  2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I would go with the 2x10, but thats just me. I dont know whats better for jazz. What ever you go with im sure your gonna love it.Peace:cool:
    P.S. why dont you look into a 1x15 if you like the one at school.
  3. ive got an ampeg 4x8's it sounds awesome, i prefer it over most 2x10's but i think you soulld look into the 15 and maybe a horn
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you LIKE the sound of the Peavey TKO? :eek:

well...i guess mine probably doesn't sound like a brand new one anymore....but it definitely doesn't sound pleasing to my ear.

i'd go with the 4x8's if you have a little more money to spend on speakers. you can get some nice 8's (eminence)

5. I've always been a fan of 12's... even when they weren't popular. They have a much faster responce than 15's or 18's and yet don't sound as "modern" as 10's. So my vote is for a 2 x 12 cab. :p
  6. I love mine for "Bedroom" bassing. But then I go downstairs and play through the ampeg setup, and realize that the peavey is very clean sounding. Would actually work great for a jazz gig.

MHO of course :)
  7. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I actually like my schools Peavey KB300 better than their ampeg B100R. Kinda weird!

AS 1x15 would be easier to design than either a 2x10 or a 4x8. EV use to have plans to build a 15 with their speakers back in the eighties. I heard one one time and it sounded great! I don't remember much about it though. If you are interested I could ask the guy whats in it.

If you do go with 10s get some BAM speakers though! They rock. Thats what I ws working on before the Pro-2x10 came out. Again if your interested I can try and find the part number. They were about $100 each when I was looking at them though.
  8. eLsCorcHo

Mar 7, 2002
    Sammamish, WA
    Thanks for all of your input but my father got me a new used amp. A Crate "Vintage Tube 50" or something like that... a 3x10 two channel amp that sounds as if it's going to tear subspace with the volume up al the way. It's nifty. :D

Oh yeah... about that TKO... I hate it now. Tube just roxors transistor amps boxors.