1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building an Electronic\Synth vibe tone pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GilGB, Feb 24, 2016.

1. GilGB

GilGB

Aug 14, 2007
    Hey guys!
    Lately i been thinking about building another small pedalboard only for electronic music\synth sort of tone.
    For now i thought of putting an Amptweaker Bass Fuzz,Some sort of sample rate reducer\bit crusher (thought about the BugBrand BugCrusher or FrantaBit),Future Impact pedal and an octaver (3LA Tim Tuned Octabvre?) and maybe a Darkglass Vintage Deluxe.

I would like to know what's your opinion and some other suggestions what to check :).

Thanks.

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I think you'll need a filter. Preferably with an expression jack and a 4-pole option. The Xerograph works very well and is a lot more compact than the Moog.

3. Maybe looper for layering. Something with effects (reverse, half time, pitch up or down) like the ditto x2 x4 or the line 6

A reverb with a shimmer effect for pad sounds. Ironically on the new mxr reverb they actually have a "pad" setting. This is a sound I really like

Some type of tremolo. Maybe a boss splicer? Never tried one but if I was doing electronic music I'd probably Give one a shot

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    ADSR control is really important IMO. A gate and volume pedal will get you fast attack and swell sounds - really important for sounding less like a bass. Filters can also help mimic that to an extent.

Tempo synced modulators and glitch pedals (DD-6, some loopers, new stuff from Malekko and Catalinbred, etc) can get you more modern electronic sounds.

5. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    My thoughts/ideas:
    Looper / delay: Flashback x4 or DD500

Something like an LS-2 to run parallel chains. Might want your synth pedal to be separate from your other effects, for example.

Something like a BeatBuddy (or Mini) for rhythm tracks. Running that through a filter, bit crusher, distortion, delay, slicer, etc could create a wicked base to build a song on, even if you play with a drummer

EQD Rainbow Machine: insane for building ambient synthy textures.

Stuttery glitch type pedal: Hexe Revolver is, I think, the gold standard here, but hard to get and crazy expensive. Malekko Charlie Foxtrot is a reasonable alternative. Only one or two others in the same ballpark, afaik.

6. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Oh, maybe an H9.

7. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    Digitech Whammy!

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Future Impact

GilGB likes this.
  9. Dude... the Boss OC-2 is the beginner to any great synth pedalboard. It's such a classic.

I run an OC-2, Iron Ether Subterranea, Luck Duck 8-Bit (used only in conjunction with the Xerograph), Fairfield Circuitry's Ring Modulator, EQD's Pitch Bay, and a Xerograph Deluxe (with Moog EP-2) for the "dirt" side. I do have an Adventure Audio Fuzz Peaks coming in though, so that might change things up.

On modulation I have a Wampler Faux Echo, Boss RV-3, Boss RV-5, and an Eventide Modfactor (mostly for the Undulator). I'm still needing to upgrade my mod side. I'm not a huge fan of what the Modfactor offers. I think I would rather individual boxes, but that Undulator setting is delicious.

Oh, and each of the two sides runs into a separate signal router (looper) so I can quickly turn on/off either section or both at the same time.

P.S. I also use a passive volume pedal. Additionally I sometimes have the EHX Freeze on my board (and a couple other things like a DL4 for looping) if I am going to be doing background textures or whatever. The Freeze can get great non tonal drones if you "catch" a sound (like raking across the strings) rather than grabbing a "chord" or "tone."

10. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I'd recommend a volume pedal and a delay for super deep swells. The Source Audio Nemesis is my favorite delay I've played, and it has a really cool bitcrusher delay effect also (the "Degrade" setting) as well as cool rhythms. I have some cool sequencer-esque presets. You can even hold the current sound by holding down the Tap Tempo button a la the Freeze, but the delays keep oscillating. I love this feature for noisy synth loops.

11. GilGB

GilGB

Aug 14, 2007
    Anyone got an idea for a good choppy tremolo with presets for stuff like this?

12. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Source Audio Manta for filters, with a Hot Hand for expression. Look up dubstep wobbles with the Manta and be amazed. (I tried it myself but failed horribly - still, it's apparently doable!)

13. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Source Audio Vertigo is an easy option - 3 presets you load using the Neuro app and a huge range of options to tweak choppyness

14. Proton Lenny

Proton Lenny Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    As was mentioned previously, OC-2 > Fuzz > filter is the immediate ticket to get into 'synth' territory. You can hear a lot of that in the Source Audio Manta review video I just did. As far as choppy tremolo's go, any good square wave tremolo with tap tempo should do the trick! I've used the Strymon Mobius and Eventide H9 for these trem sounds for a while now. Here's that Manta vid, hope it helps in the synth quest!

Jpac likes this.