Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building an EUB, where to start?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tim Cole, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I am interested in building an EUB, can anyone give me some suggestions where to start? Approximately what lumber sizes will I need to start? Are there any pre-made and radiused fingerboards available anywhere? What tools are going to be necessity?

I hope to make something similar to a NS design EUB, using flame maple for the body/neck, and I am open to suggestion on the fingerboard wood.

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    If you search on "EUB" in this forum you should turn up several threads on ones that members have built.

Here is my latest: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165156

Here's some info form Bob Gollihur:
    http://www.eclecticbass.com/eurb.html

And here's the talkbass EUB forum (if you haven't found it):
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101

There are several places that carry pre-radiused fingerboards. I have used fingerboards from bob gollihur twice, they are definetly the best priced ones out there. I have used rosewood both times. www.urbbob.com

Lumber sizes depends entirely on your design. Is it going to be one piece or a bolt on neck? Will the neck be laminated? What will the body dimensions be?

First you need to come up with design you like, then you need to make a very detailed scale drawing of it, including all imaginable dimesions. I always start mine with the dimensions from bob's fingerboards and a 41.5" scale.

Tools also depend alot on the design, a simpler design will require fewer tools. I built the EUB pictured below (my first one) in one weekend with very limited tools. I used:

various hand saws (yes, I made all the cuts by hand)
    An assortment of files/rasps
    A hatchet :eek: :bag:
    A hand drill
    A palm sander
    A dremel
    A set of chisels
    An assortment of clamps
    and a screwdriver

Obviously, the one in the thread above was a little more involved. Also, if your serious about building one of these, I have a stand made from drum hardware for an EUB for sale.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171471

Attached Files:

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yeah, I saw your latest creation when doing a search, it is SWEET! As far as design goes, I'd like something like a simple NS design, I just have no idea about how to shape the neck where it will be somewhat uniform, what process to match the neck to the fingerboard, rounding body edges, etc. I am at a loss, and not sure where to start!

Tim

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Well, many guys on here use fancy router jigs and things for shaping necks, but for your first few builds, there's nothing like a big rasp and a lot of elbow grease. Here's what I do: start with your square lumber then cut it down on both the sides and back to the dimensions of your neck. At this point you should have a square version of your neck that is just slightly wider than your fingerboard. From here, draw a dark line down the center of the back of the neck. This will serve as a valuable reference when it comes to getting a uniform shape. Then just start rounding over the edges while keeping an eye on your line. THe line will give you a good visual reference to how much you have taken off and alow you to accurately compare the two sides of the neck, as well as keeping a perfect center. You don't want to shave off the line untill you have the neck 90% shaped. Then once you have attached the fingerboard, you can just file down that little bit of overhang until you have a perfect match.

This stuff isn't rocket science, once you start gettin your hands dirty, it will all start to fall into place.

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    PM coming your way, hope you don't mind....