1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building an EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by keylimepie, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

I'm looking at building an EUB almost from scratch and before I start I'd like to find out some general specifications. I would really appreciate it if someone could let me know,

a) What sort of wood would be best to make the body, neck and fingerboard out of.

b) What scale I should make it? I'm 17 and don't have much background in upright bass so I'm wondering what the standard scale is, ie 4/4, 3/4 etc.

c) Will a set of electric bass pickups work? I have a set of jazz bass pickups that I'd like to use, would that be a huge problem amplification wise?

Thanks a lot in advance

Josh

2. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
  3. Standard scale is 3/4. You'll get a much better URBish tone with a piezo type pickup. Unless you're really good at wood working I would strongly reccomend at least buying a ready-made fingerboard, such as the rosewood one from http://www.urbbob.com/fingerboards.html

There are also a few construction threads on these forums that go into more detail about woods. Just make sure you use a nice hard wood for the neck, and maybe embed a truss rod.