building an overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sean S, Mar 1, 2005.

1. does anyone have any basic schematics for an overdrive?
    and what components?

I've recently been inspired to try build my own (after re-reading the Timmy C. issue of Bass Player)

any help would be appreciated!

2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have no idea how to help (sorry), but is there anyway I can get that Y.Tim.K. Tim article? ;)
  3. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Here's the Guv'nor that timmy c. uses, i'm sure his is modded for better bass responce. What you'd do is just have the input and output caps be of higher value.

In fact, i just sold my Boss ODB-3 and with the money i'm going to build the guv'nor, because of all the praise i've been hearing.

Good thing about that website is you can buy pre-made PCBs, and just buy and solder in all the parts. I've built a few that way, makes it real easy.

Here's a good forum once you read up on stuff. Also just search "guv'nor" there, and i'm sure you'll find a lot of stuff.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Good links guys!

I just found this website, and I figured out that he has 3 seperate rigs. One for clean, one for semi dirty (verse/chorus of Cochise,) and ultra dirty (Tom's solo in Cochise.)

He also said you won't EVER figure out his settings for anything; he's been working on them for 10 years. :crying:
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Good place to start, but if you want to learn more the workings of a pedal, might I suggest purchasing a kit from Small Bear Electronics. I have worked with him time and time again (both as a supplier and a customer) and he's always been a great help.

Check out the projects here and definately consider the Tweak-O as a first, or the Bear Face if you're feeling up to a challenge.
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Dang. I should try to dig up the scematic for one that I designed once. It was about ten years ago. It featured a kind of clipping, and a strange effect caused by 'analog computers' in the signal chain.

I was experimenting with a field called 'analog computing'; mostly just feeding in certain of the basic periodic waveforms and and performing on-the-fly math operations on them, and noting the changes in the waveform as different combinations of these operations were performed.

I came up with a circuit that exhibited sort-of unique analog algorithm, and started wondering how these waveforms would sound. it fascinated me so much that I finally got hold of a guitar as a 'waveform generator', and kind of freaked on how it sounded. It was quite musical.

You know - I'd actually forgotten about it for years until now...

7. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    hey, i went to that website where the guv'nor is. i can't find all the little components at Radio Shack... do you know where i can find them at?
  8. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA