Building bass from body from ebay, need advice on finish, building neck, etc

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jaguarcat311, Feb 21, 2005.

1. I just bought a bass body on ebay, looked pretty good to me. i need a neck and i have been wanting to make one for a while so i thought i would try to build one, i have been checking ebay for neck blanks and such, not much luck. ive never made a neck, but i am pretty good with power tools, and i can go use anything i need at my highschool's carpentry class. i have a book that tells how to make a neck, so im not completely in the dark (i hope). anyway, i found fretboards on ebay, i am either going to go with a bloodwood fretboard or a very very dark mahogany fretboard. most likely a maple neck. for the finish on the body, i was thinking about doing a light reddish stain, to bring out some more red on the bloodwood stripe, and maybe an oil rub finish or clear coat over that. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3781803821&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT
    theres the link to the body, if anyone has any ideas for a finish or could give some advice on making a neck, let me know, Thanks