Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Naumann, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Naumann

Naumann

May 12, 2004
    Hi guys,

I've decided to build a cabinet (1x12, 1x10). So I've chosen speakers. I think it will be eminence kappa pro 12 and kappa pro 10 + eminence super tweeter APT:80. I'll be grateful for some opinions and suggestions. Should I build one cabinet 1012 or two cabinets - one 10 and other one 12. Oh, and I play 5-string bass with low-B. What box dimensions are necessery?

2. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    go to radio shack and buy "speaker box design". it's a book that tells you everything you need to figure the dimensions of your perspective cab. i would build a ported enclosure. i would also put both drivers in the same box, but i would seperate them internally and slot port each side along the bottom. i don't know how handy you are so two cabs might be easier if you're trying this for the first time. just remember your most important tool is a calculator. theil small parameters are not the same for any two speakers so doing the math is more important than anything else.(read the book and you'll find out what theil small parameters are, emminece does a great job of posting all theirs btw)
    again the only reason i wouldn't put both drivers in the same box is craftmanship, but if you're up for the challenge it would be really cool to have a 10 and a 12 in the same box. if you wanted 4 12's or something i'd say make two cabs but a 1012 (schroeder? what? oh damn it's not the schroeder thread) would't be too bad on the back and it would be reasonably light

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Abort! Abort! Heh, seriously, there are a LOT of factors that go into a good bass cab, so you may want to seriously consider doing more reading and experimentation before attempting to build a full on, crossed-over bass cab. That is, unless expense is not an issue

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Read Cabinet Building 101

and when you have read it all start doing some searches here; plenty of good info to be had.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Tha Kappa Pro 12 likes a small Cab (30 Litres or 1.05cu.ft) tuned to 37Hz. The problem is it doesn't have much of a bottom end. It's -3dB at 96Hz so it'll struggle to handle a 4 stringer let alone a 5 string. I wouldn't recommend this driver for your needs. Keeping it in the Eminence family, I'd consider an Omega 12 Pro, or maybe a Delta Pro 12, (both are -3dB at 70Hz), or maybe the Delta 12lf as used in the Avatar cabs which goes deeper but may have issues with excursion (distortion at low frequencies).

2 seperate cabs will be pointless because the the Kappa 10 is a dedicated midrange driver. It does nothing below 155Hz so it makes for a poor standalone speaker. I'd put both speakers in one enclosure, making sure each speaker gets it's own seperate "cab within a cab".

Put to 10" it an 8 litre (0.31cu ft) cab and tune it to 46 Hz. I'd also use a Highpass filter (or crossover) to keep away the low frequencies away from it and stop it from moving too far.

6. Naumann

Naumann

May 12, 2004
    Thanks a lot. So I will take Kappa pro 10 and Omega 12. :) Any more suggestions?

7. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    if you run it three way(bass mid treble) make sure you get a three way crossover. i would get one with at least 12db cut. also you could probably call emminence and see what drivers they recommend. i didn't do my homework on the original drivers you picked out but that has been corrected in susequent posts. also running three way frees you up to get a driver (the woofer) with more bass and less midrange lending the cab to a wider tonal spectrum.

8. The Kappa Pro 10 is a poor choice for this combination. It is more efficient (louder) than the 12, and has a limited upper range.

Using the Omega Pro 12, the matching component is the Alpha 6 for both sensitivity and frequency range. The Alpha 6 will go up high enough to allow the APT to cross over at 8,000 Hz.

IMO you do not need the APT tweeter unless you run effects that create noise higher than 8,000 Hz. This is the natural top end for your bass, and the Alpha will cover it.

I would use a 2x crossover at 800 Hz. This keeps all the fundamentals out of the Alpha, and lets it handle only the highs. It will blow up if you cross over too low.

9. Naumann

Naumann

May 12, 2004
    Do you think that configuration will be enough warm and smooth?

I'm going to buy fretless with piezo some day. Piezo needs high frequency. Am I right?

10. Naumann

Naumann

May 12, 2004
    To which frequency I need to tune Alpha?

And last thing: Omega is 600 W & Alpha is 100W. I'm affraid, that I'll blow alpha with 400W Amp (Eden WT-400).

I'll be grateful for answer.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It shouldn't be a problem if the Alpha 6 is behind a properly designed crossover. The low frequencies that are likely to blow it will never reach it.

If it were me, I'd look at getting a tweeter, but I'd a couple of resistors in there to make an attenuation circuit, turning it down just enough to make it balance with the other drivers.. Not everyone enjoys experimenting with different resistor values, so it might be easier to instead add a variable L-pad so I can turn it up and down to balance with the Alpha 6. L-pads aren't expensive and are readily available.

I'd put the Apha 6 in a sealed cabinet of 8 litres (0.27 cu.ft). I'd give the Omega a 37 litre cab (1.31cu.ft) and tune it to 39Hz. So all up it's only a 45 litre cab, which is rather compact. Remember to give each speaker it's own cab within a cab.

12. Naumann

Naumann

May 12, 2004
    I will need 3way crossover with 2 speakers and tweeter, am I right? Which Eminence L-pad & crossover will be fine (I don't want to make them on my own)?

13. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    One recommendation is that you should definitely look into more manufacturers than Eminence. Many builders use their products, yes, but if you wanted a good cab with Eminence speakers, you'd be very likely to do better with an Avatar or similar brand. If you're going to build it just for the experience, then go for it, but be aware that unless you are very confident in everything you're doing, from speaker specs to crossover design, woodworking to finishing, it won't be all that you've imagined. Building your own cab is great for very specific applications and needs, or just for the fun of it, but the costs involved (in the first one you build especially) with probably be greater, and the sound quality worse, than a similar offering from Avatar.

I'd really just recommend doing more reading, there is SO much technical info out there to go through and consider. If you do end up building a cab, good luck, and let us know how it goes.

P.S. Definitely do not concern yourself with a tweeter right now, as most of the frequencies it covers aren't made by the electric bass. A 2-way design will be more than enough to keep your busy for your first project :)