Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, May 12, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have a extra new Peavey BXBW 15 lying around. I was wondering how hard it would be to build a cab for it, and how much it would cost? Also I have a old KB100, is it possible to some how mount it in there?

2. Anything is possible:

[​IMG]

You may just want to hunt for an old Peavey cab, cause it'll probably be cheaper than building one. Probably run you $150-$200 or so to build it or have it built by a cabinet builder. You can luck into a 1-15 Peavey cab for $100 if you are in no hurry.

Chris

3. I build all my own, and it is a LOT of work. Mine are made from 3/4" MDF, all butt joints with glue + screws + cleats. Cross bracing between panels, and on the speaker board.

You will need tools and skills to accurately cut the MDF, a screw gun, drill and bits, Jorgansen clamps and pipe clamps. I have a sweep signal generator program on my web site you can use under Windows to tune your cabinet port. The design programs are here also.

Once built, you will have to buy your mounting hardware, grille, ozite cloth, corner pieces, cable jacks and cups, etc. These are available from Penn Fabrication or TCH Case and Hardware. Both have $50 minimum order requirement.

This project will require HOURS of your time.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks,
    Whats your websites address bgavin?

Also a music shop around here has some really really old cabs from some other companies. Could I put the speaker in there. They are all really beat up and bad sounding now, but maybe that would make em sound good.

5. My website is at:

http://www.ofgb.org

As of this writing my site is mostly bass-oriented, and I only have a small portion of my reference libarary online.