Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scourtedc700, Feb 8, 2002.

1. scourtedc700

scourtedc700

Jan 29, 2002
    I want to build an extension cab for my amp... Do any of you have tips, onr know any good sites.

2. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Cabinets cost big bucks due to many things, one is the R & D "brand-x" put into it. You could waste a-lot of time and $ on a hunk of crap. I think the only way you can sucessfully pull this off is to copy a known good design.

Say your buddy has a "Henry-the 8X8":

1) take it apart, measure everything and copy it exactly.
    2) Order the exact same speakers from a dealer or factory (perhapse under the guise that yours were ruined in a flood).
    3) Order the exact same X-over & tweeter from another sounce.

you may have to choose several different cabs if the replacement components (speakers, ect) cost more than a new or used one.

3. organicj

organicj

Feb 8, 2002
    Dallas Texas
    From my car stereo days I can tell you that a well/poorly designed speaker enclosure can increase or decrease a driver's effective punch. The R&D on these things are greatly over-hyped. Now, we have enclosure calculators and instruments that can, just by the speaker's test measurements, give exact dimensions for an enclosure for that exact speaker. If you can get the test measurements from the driver's manufcturer, just plug the numbers in and the formulas do the rest. The art of design is in altering the dimensions to suit your application. I would go to MTX audio, click on education and find speaker construction. Car/home audio and pro audio enclosures are no different as far as the formulas are concerned.