Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingray, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    does anyone know of a good site with detailed instructions on how to build your own cabinets and what type of speakers to buy and what type of head to use.

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    why build your own cab.
    avatar will sell you an empty cab for under $100 then you can put any speaker you want in it
    this is for the 15 compact or the regular

3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Hey! I made a cab as well. But you'd be better off asking the others still. I'll help if I can though.

4. Yup. First do your homework :D. Find out about speaker building as much as possible. Then ask specific questions. The speaker freaks around here will give good, specific answers.

PS. there are speaker building tutorials on the web, but none for bass guitar cab building, as the requirements are quite unique.

Regards,
    Joris.

5. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    If you're more of a book person have a look for 'Loudspeakers for Musicians' by Vivian Capel published by Bernard Babani. It's only ickle but it's very helpful. Has all the info you need to know. It'll tell you why stuff will and won't work and generally give you good advice whilst teaching you the theory behind it all. But not in a way that causes headaches and eventual suicide. I'm sure the people who know stuff will be able to help you more than I have.

However, just to give you a bit more confidence in your abilities here is a picture of my attempt at building a cab. Considering I started it knowing nothing at all about it I'm VERY pleased with it. Has a big phat sound. So look at it. Please.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've been a home builder for years. When I started, it was for economic reasons...used gear in the '70s wasn't that cheap. That's not the case now.

You would first need to understand why you want to build your own. If it's because you want something that isn't commercially available, go for it. If it's just to save a buck, think twice. The initial cost may (emphasis on the MAY) be less but you have to consider resale value.

I've seen things like Peavey 1x15s for less than $200. If you place a value on your time, you couldn't build a cabinet that performs like that for the same amount of money.

Also, check out www.avatarspeakers.com. This guy sells brand new bass cabs with 10s and 15s for bargain prices. Good reviews on Harmony Central too. You can get a brand new 4x10 two way cabinet with Eminence woofers and a Foster horn for $250 plus shipping...that's cheap. 2x10s (with Foster horn) and 1x15s are only $199.

If you still have the urge, search Yahoo or Google, you'll find plenty of links. Speakers can be purchased from a number of places like www.Partsexpress.com or www.Avatarspeakers.com among others.

As for amps...find something that sounds good to your ears and has plenty of power. I like the bargain priced SWR Workingman's 300 head. There is lots of great used bass gear available these days.

Good luck!

7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    im no help with any questions on speakerbuilding (aside from woodworking techniques) but heres a little inspiration for ya!

[​IMG]

the top cab is a stock 210 from carvin, the bottom is the 18 woofer cab i built. it cost me a little under $250. it can be done with good results if you do your research and take your time.

8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    bastard picturetrail is being dumb. here it is for real now:[​IMG]

9. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    how do you access the selections at avatar all i can can get is that first add and idont see nything about empty cabs. thanks for all the other help i think i ll go this way just to have more of and option on what components i use and it will feel more personal using the stuff thanks. just need to figure out the avatar sit and maybe ican get underway.

10. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Avatar does not have any empty cabs on their website. Try emailing or calling. The main guy is Dave. He will most likely be willing to work something out with you. I recently purchased the B115 and love it. I think you may want to reconsider just buying a complete loaded cab from Avatar. It's good stuff at a good price.

11. If Stingray won't mind too much, I'd like to put a specific to Joris.

This Eminence Delta 15 I've "inherited" is in a home-made box that's too small. There's a port in the baffle that's very probably the wrong size.

What's the method, please, of tuning the cab by altering the port size: I understand I'll need a VVM or similar + oscillator + amp?

Thanks.

John

12. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    if i cant see the cabs how o i know what im buying i like to see it before i buy it

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    are you talking about the avatars?
    if so you can look at them
    also ask guadzilla how much he likes his avatar stuff!

14. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Because the odds are against you sticking the right speaker in any cab. Cabs should be designed for specific speakers and in order to perform properly need to be matched. It is not as simple as making a box, cutting a hole in it, and mounting a speaker in the hole. :rolleyes:

Tom, nice job on the cab. Better get some grills before the cat sharpens it's claws. :eek: I built a 2x12 with much help of the afore-mentioned TB Cab Gurus. It kicks ass. I have been hoping to post a pic but don't have access to a digital just yet.

15. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    am i missing something because the avatar site has nothing but a picture of an cab but no links except to reviews but none to the cabs or speakers they may have.

16. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it should be on the left where it says
    bass
    guitar
    pa
    etc....

17. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    shoot mine doesnt show those it just show the missing photo icon

18. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    when you are on the site try pushing the refresh button that usualy does it for mine
    if not it is the second button from the top
    maybe you can still get into it

19. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    nope still dont work and the kink wont work does anyone know how to fix the internet (evil laugh)