Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building cases?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SciFiGuy, Apr 2, 2004.

1. SciFiGuy

SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    I've been wandering through the Luthier's Corner occasionally because someday in the future eventually after I learn how to play a bit, I want to contemplate thinking about maybe building a bass. Possibly.Which has led me to wonder, what do you guys do for cases for custom, handbuilt and DIY basses? Do you build them yourself? I could see if you don't get too far from an established body shape you might be able to buy a case, but I've seen some funky shapes here. Does someone sell cases with cut to fit innards?

Somehow I don't think a gig bag would cut it.

2. I am able to use a standard case after I cut out a small area with a coping saw, and then graft the felt interior over the exposed styrofoam.

3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I contacted a few ATA case companies to get quotes on providing me with ATA style cases for my basses.

I selected CDM Manufacturing .

There are other case companies, and most will do a custom case for you. I sent CDM full scale drawings of my bass design from the top and from the side.

:^)~