Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building Custom bass, help me rock!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Scok, Jan 24, 2001.

1. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    I am having a custom bass build by Norhtwood guitars (my local guy up here in Vancouver BC). It's going to be a 4 string made bolt on. Mahogany body w/ spalted maple top, I forgot what the neckstock is w/ ebony fretboard.

I want this baby to really growl. I like that sort of Tool 'pianoy'(if that's of word?) sound, I also dig (Les Claypools sound on Anipop) with lots of bite. I have barts on a Northwood fretless which is smooth (sounds beutiful)so I want this to be the exact opposite, bass from hell. No holes are drilled so, anything is an option.

I was thinking Basslines MM replacements with 2 humubkers.
    But I am also curious about EMG, I've heard that they only sound good with fresh strings. Opinoins? Succes stories?

I would appreciate any help.
    Thanx.

2. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I had an idea last week. I play a jazz bass and I love it, but I wouldn't mind experementing with other pickup options. Heere is the idea I had.

This idea came from the Fender Roscoe Beck singnature model. Build a bass with two sets of Music Man pickups from Seymoure Duncan. Build it with a three way switch for each pickup. The switches would be to switch from single coil/humbucker in parallel/humbucker in series. Put this with a 3 band active pickup and a pan pot to blend the pickups. I think it would be awesome! Like I said I got the idea from the Roscoe Beck bass, but the RB doesn't have a pan pot or active electronics.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Howz `bout two RioGrande "Powerbuckers" ?

[​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.cartoonsounds.com/simpsons/damn-it.wav

Looks like somebody tried somethin' similar (check out the middle one) -

[​IMG]

[Edited by notduane on 01-26-2001 at 10:11 PM]

4. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    Thanks, I'll check those powerbuckers out, pretty mean looking beasts. BTW, Holy profile, Notduane! I thihk I may go with a Dimarzio split-p and a ultra jazz J with and EMG active pre-amp. I've asked a few of my local yocals and they suggested those for growl. But I can still be swayed.....

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Every time I went to the Warmoth Thrift Shop, I'd get this notion for a simple, sturdy fretless...
    Birdseye & Ebony neck, Alder or Swamp Ash bod routed for 1 4-string Powerbucker and
    Gotoh 206 (for through-body stringing). Simple + Stoopid.
    Now I'm savin' all my coconuts for a Merchant EUB.
    Can `ya tell I was a BIG Rush fan? :rolleyes::p
    That Split-P on my Yamaha `260 fretless is pretty sweet. It's very balanced.
    Probably `cause of the blades (vs. polepieces). All my junk is passive (`cept the Rob Allen),
    which is weird `cause I used to be an electronics weenie. `Ya figure I'd have a midi-controller /
    piezo-under-each-fret type monstrosity :p . That Split-P on the Yammer sounds good all by itself -
    no preamp. Of course, runnin' it through an Ampeg B15 may have somethin' to do with it :D .

6. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    Notduane, thanks for the info/comedey break. Makes my day at work suck a little less :D I just saw the splatted maple for my bass.. eeeexcelent (ala Mr. Burns). It's going to look crazy, sort of Warwick rounded small body, with a Rickenbacker style horn on the bottom and a Carl Thompson style on top.

Texas, eh? I jsut got a gig with a band and my first show might be in Texas in mid March.

PS Rush Rules! Have you heard Geddy's new solo album, with the drummer of Soundgarden? Rocks, buy it.

[Edited by Scok on 01-26-2001 at 02:52 PM]

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    If I was getting a custom I'd want a P pickup in front with an MM at the bridge...

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hi. I just finished putting a 5 string bass together (Sadowsky clone) & I put a pair of EMG 40 J's w/a Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. I have to say the bass SMOKES!!! I have an American Spector NS-5 5 string & it totally destroys it. I hate to say that because I love Spector basses. you can check out the EMG @ <a href="http://www.emginc.com/Bass.html">EMG BASS PICK-UPS</a> & the Pre-amp @ <a href="http://www.aguilaramp.com/html/obp1.html">Aguilar OBP-1</a> If you are looking to make the ultimate bass, you have to look into this. I am a real gear nut & this has to be one of the best sounding basses I've ever played!!! You might want to look int to EMG "J's", or "35 J's" with the OBP-1. I don't think you will be disappointed.

9. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    That sounds like an intersting combo Nino, I think I'll cruise on over to those links right now. Thanks a lot.