Building Custom bass, help me rock!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Scok, Jan 24, 2001.

1. Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    I am having a custom bass build by Norhtwood guitars (my local guy up here in Vancouver BC). It's going to be a 4 string made bolt on. Mahogany body w/ spalted maple top, I forgot what the neckstock is w/ ebony fretboard.

I want this baby to really growl. I like that sort of Tool 'pianoy'(if that's of word?) sound, I also dig (Les Claypools sound on Anipop) with lots of bite. I have barts on a Northwood fretless which is smooth (sounds beutiful)so I want this to be the exact opposite, bass from hell. No holes are drilled so, anything is an option.

I was thinking Basslines MM replacements with 2 humubkers.
    But I am also curious about EMG, I've heard that they only sound good with fresh strings. Opinoins? Succes stories?

I would appreciate any help.
  2. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I had an idea last week. I play a jazz bass and I love it, but I wouldn't mind experementing with other pickup options. Heere is the idea I had.

This idea came from the Fender Roscoe Beck singnature model. Build a bass with two sets of Music Man pickups from Seymoure Duncan. Build it with a three way switch for each pickup. The switches would be to switch from single coil/humbucker in parallel/humbucker in series. Put this with a 3 band active pickup and a pan pot to blend the pickups. I think it would be awesome! Like I said I got the idea from the Roscoe Beck bass, but the RB doesn't have a pan pot or active electronics.
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I like the way you think mister! :p .

Howz `bout two RioGrande "Powerbuckers" ?

Looks like somebody tried somethin' similar (check out the middle one) -

[Edited by notduane on 01-26-2001 at 10:11 PM]
  4. Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    Thanks, I'll check those powerbuckers out, pretty mean looking beasts. BTW, Holy profile, Notduane! I thihk I may go with a Dimarzio split-p and a ultra jazz J with and EMG active pre-amp. I've asked a few of my local yocals and they suggested those for growl. But I can still be swayed.....
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Every time I went to the Warmoth Thrift Shop, I'd get this notion for a simple, sturdy fretless...
    Birdseye & Ebony neck, Alder or Swamp Ash bod routed for 1 4-string Powerbucker and
    Gotoh 206 (for through-body stringing). Simple + Stoopid.
    Now I'm savin' all my coconuts for a Merchant EUB.
    Can `ya tell I was a BIG Rush fan? :rolleyes::p
    That Split-P on my Yamaha `260 fretless is pretty sweet. It's very balanced.
    Probably `cause of the blades (vs. polepieces). All my junk is passive (`cept the Rob Allen),
    which is weird `cause I used to be an electronics weenie. `Ya figure I'd have a midi-controller /
    piezo-under-each-fret type monstrosity :p . That Split-P on the Yammer sounds good all by itself -
    no preamp. Of course, runnin' it through an Ampeg B15 may have somethin' to do with it :D .
  6. Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    Notduane, thanks for the info/comedey break. Makes my day at work suck a little less :D I just saw the splatted maple for my bass.. eeeexcelent (ala Mr. Burns). It's going to look crazy, sort of Warwick rounded small body, with a Rickenbacker style horn on the bottom and a Carl Thompson style on top.

Texas, eh? I jsut got a gig with a band and my first show might be in Texas in mid March.

PS Rush Rules! Have you heard Geddy's new solo album, with the drummer of Soundgarden? Rocks, buy it.

[Edited by Scok on 01-26-2001 at 02:52 PM]
  7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    If I was getting a custom I'd want a P pickup in front with an MM at the bridge...
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hi. I just finished putting a 5 string bass together (Sadowsky clone) & I put a pair of EMG 40 J's w/a Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. I have to say the bass SMOKES!!! I have an American Spector NS-5 5 string & it totally destroys it. I hate to say that because I love Spector basses. you can check out the EMG @ <a href="">EMG BASS PICK-UPS</a> & the Pre-amp @ <a href="">Aguilar OBP-1</a> If you are looking to make the ultimate bass, you have to look into this. I am a real gear nut & this has to be one of the best sounding basses I've ever played!!! You might want to look int to EMG "J's", or "35 J's" with the OBP-1. I don't think you will be disappointed.
  9. Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    That sounds like an intersting combo Nino, I think I'll cruise on over to those links right now. Thanks a lot.