Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building custom cabinet, but need help [speaker selection]

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaunuel, Aug 15, 2004.

1. shaunuel

shaunuel

Aug 15, 2004
    hi ladies and gents.....

i play in a punk band and am looking to build my own custom 6x10" cab befor tour (in dec.). i've been doing my research but am coming up a little confused and empty handed.

i don't know nearly enough about speaker selection and was wondering if some of you fine ppl could help me out. im just looking for a middle of the line (or high end of medium) set of speakers to throw in this baby. i decided on the 10's cause they'll vibrate a little better whilst picking in double time.

i like a really clear, and vibrant sound......with nice (somewhat evenly balanced) lows, meds, and highs. basically, im just looking for a nice speaker combo without breaking the bank.

so if anyone can draw up a 6x10" speaker combo for me, i'd love you forever! thanks sooOOoo much guys.......and any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated!

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I think you'd prolly save money if you buy a 6x10 but if you really wanna build one I suggest Eminence Delta 10's. They sound great in my 4x10

http://avatarspeakers.com/ click on "Speaker Replacements" and scroll to the bottem

3. Buy a pair of 4x10 instead.

:D

The questions you ask reveal what you don't know about design. This is not a dig, but a helpful hint.

You will NOT save money by attempting to build your own cabs. Worse, you most likely will wind up with investing a lot of work and expense for something that sounds like ass. December is not very far off from now, and your time is better spent on your tunes, not a table saw.

A pair of 4x10 are a LOT easier to haul than a 6x10.

If you insist, then download my spread sheet and sort it by driver diameter. I have several 10s cataloged and all the tuning and volumes worked out. These are the optimum tunings as required by the driver parameters. Note that most manufacturers squish the drivers into a too small space, to get a more marketable cabinet size.