Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building dream P-bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Sep 23, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If you where going to build yourself your dream vintage-type P-bass to your specs. What parts (body, neck, pup, bridge, tuners, etc) would you use? Vintage parts from ebay, New stuff from Warmoth, Hipshot tuners etc?
    If anyone has done this please show some pics!

2. I'm working on putting a P Bass copy together. I'm going fretless, with a Washburn black and spackle white body, and an Ibanez mahogony neck with ebony fingerboard coated in epoxy so that I can use roundwounds. The pickups will be either Bartolini or Seymour Duncan, P and MM, with a 3 way selector switch for the MM pickup. The hardware will be black, and the tuning machines will be whatever brand is decent quality and that i can get for the cheapest.

3. tragos

tragos Guest

Kraig99,

I just put a set of Stew-Mac's "economy" bass tuners on my Jazz. They were really cheap (a little over $20 for four), look just like standard Fender tuners, and I've been very happy with them. They are tension adjustable and hold well.

4. First of all, I would have bought a body (probably swamp ash) from Warmoth. After that, I would have had it finished in Seafoam green and fitted with either a Seyour Duncan QP or a Rio Grande Muy Grande pickup. White three ply pickguard. For the bridge I would have chosen a Badass II in chrome, and the tuners would have been in the style of vintage Fenders (long shaft etc). For neck, I probably would have bought a vintage Tele-bass one. A set of Rotosound rounds and Schaller Straplocks on top of that and one is ready to rock! ;)

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Warmoth 2-tone Sunburst P bass body
    Warmoth Maple/Maple P bass neck with Vintage yellow finish.
    EMG 35P4 pickup in the P postion
    Raven Labs PCB P retrofit
    Black ABM bridge
    Black Hipshot Ultralite tuners (elephant ear style, of course)
    Turtoise Shell pickgaurd (Tort/Black, no white laminates)
    TI Flats.

ROCK!

6. I'd go with an ash body, maple neck. Finger board type depends on body color for me. Duncan Quarter Pounder pickup. Gotoh 201 bridge. And just standard no frills Fender-style tuners.

7. I haven't thought about it much, but I guess I'd go for:

Neck....................Three piece maple
    Body....................Pawlonia
    Fretboard.............Birdseye maple
    Pickguard.............Curly Maple
    Bridge..................Hipshot Style “A” Bass Bridge
    Pickups................Bartolini 8BCP + 9CBJD bridge pickup
    Scale lenght.........34”
    # of frets..............24
    Inlays...................Dots
    Tuners..................Gotoh B7 bass tuners ( 2L + 2R )
    Hardware color...Chrome bridge and tuners + Black knobs
    Controls...............2 volume, 1 master tone
    Finish...................See through cellophane

Bolt on neck
    Passive electronics
    JP pickup configuration
    Strung with flats or rounds, haven't decided yet.

Well, maybe I've thought about it a little. But not much. And I defenetly haven't been thinking about it before I go to sleep for the last couple of days.

:D

8. You know, I think I would just buy a '57 reissue. Unlike Jazz basses, I don't think anyone does the P-bass thing as well as a good old Fender.

9. It would be Warmoth for me too.

I want that rod-reinforced neck, but I'd take it with an ebony board. Those necks are seriously thin, front to back, but I'd take a P-width for sure.

The body wood is a harder choice, and is probably tone dependent. The alder wood is probably thumpier, and ash or maple is probably brighter. Jury is out for me on this one.

Pickups are another issue where the jury is still out. I've been through stock MIM, Duncan Hot P, and currently on DiMarzio Will Power Middle and still hunting for the right sound. The MIM had the most percussive effect, and the DM is nicer to my ears than the Duncan, which is too hot in the mids.

Schaller tuners are just fine. The Gotoh 201 bridge is just fine also, *providing* it doesn't put the action too high. The 201 action is quite a bit higher than the stock MIM bridge at the lowest settings. It was too high for my MIM P, so I took mine off. The same 201 will be just fine on my MIM J fretless... go figure.

I'd do a J body with J pick guard and control plate, cuz I like them better than P bodies. I like pick guards, too.

If building a P/J type, I'd be sorely tempted to install a J-Retro active preamp. This is easy when using a standard J body shape.