1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building effects pedals - any good schematics?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Caramthros, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    I know this might not go in here but its about effects.

I've been looking around to make some effects pedals but nearly all of them are for guitars. Just wondering if anyone has made or tried to make any and if anyone knows any decent schematics or sites for distortion, EQ, wah and anything else.

Thanks

2. runoffgroove
    beavislabs
    geofx
    musique (search Jack Orman)
    Tim Escobedo
    Diystomboxes

3. Damn, Vincent got all the good ones! Some builders post their own schematics at I<3Fuzz, and some others:
    Schematic Heaven
    Tonepad

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
  5. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    Cheers guys. Its got to the point where I want some cool effects such as this but on the cheap (just finished uni and very bored and very poor). Have you guys had any experience with anything from these sites?

6. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Putting an order together on payday, gonna throw a high-pass filter into a box to block out the sub-30Hz noise.

Very, very simple circuit. Cheap, too.

http://sound.westhost.com/project99.htm

Based on this idea:

7. Caramthos, I... wouldn't exactly recommend the Funky MF as a first build. :help: I'm sure you'll get to that level after a couple of projects though. :cool:

8. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    i was thinking of building a pedal, ant reccommendation for ez to make? i want practice soldering and stuff, wad should i get? not hijacking
    op thread.

9. You could build an LPB-1 or a SHO. Bazz Fuss is simple enough too.

10. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    I've got some experience with electronics. I've got a GCSE in electronics from 5 years ago in which we did the basics like a small amplifier and 555 timers etc. I've recently replaced the electronics in my bass and added a series/parallel and killswitch, and want to try and do something more adventurous and something that I've wanted to have but can't afford a pedal. Making the FMF would be ideal. Not ideal on prototype board but I dont have the cash to invest in making PCBs.

11. Nobody knows your limitations as well as you do. :) I was just sort of making a blanket statement for beginners (like myself, I guess) that are just starting out.
    Looking at that thread again, it doesn't seem as complex as I first thought. It might be worth reading through the thread to find layouts and potential problems.
    Good luck!

12. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    I had the same thing with it. Going to start with breadboard or just go straight into strip or perf and try it. Need money first. Have absolutely nothing after being at uni for 3 years.

Metaball I think I'm going to do one of those too after just doing a slide from 12th to 0 on the E tuned to D for a song just a min ago. Just a tad thumpy with my 15" ashdown. Was shaking my room a bit. Let me know how it goes and then when I get some cash I'll throw one together before doing the FMF.

13. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    If I can add my opinion here, strip/veroboard is my least favorite way to build. It seemed like it would be more convenient, but I find it easier to trace my path on perfboard (or on a PCB, many of which can be gotten pretty cheaply. Or you could start etching your own)

14. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Dude! When PCBs aren't easily had, I LOVE using vero!

15. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    PCBs just aren't possible at the moment due to money etc. I really should get some perf as you're right its easier. Just annoying joining up everything. What programs if any do you use to design?

16. Vero/strip board is good too. Less jumpers needed typically.

Regarding software, there's actually a website somewhere for vero layouts that has pre-loaded components so you can just drag and drop. If you look at some vero layouts, they have the link on the image.

17. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    Awesome. Ive got Fritzing which is okay but can be bit of a nightmare at times. Would be nice if I could get it to do the schematic and auto transfer to the vero but hey, nothing is perfect

I'll design it on both vero and perf and see which one I can work with best.

While I remember, on the FMF schematic, the bold arrowheads I'm guessing are to go to the + V rail (guessing its +15V) as there is Vref and ground and then the arrows.

And would 50+% hydrochloric acid be sufficient for etching PCBs? Got some knocking around the house and don't want to splash out on ferric chloride. Wish I could just go ask the Uni if I could grab some off them (I worked in a microbiology lab, with a professor who specializes in iron).