1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building fEARful 15/6/1's. Greenboy links dead...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gypsy3000, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Gypsy3000

Gypsy3000

Nov 7, 2019
    Anybody know how to contact the OG?
    I've acquired all components but can't find the actual plans. After completion (and presumable awe) I'd like to drop some love on the original designer, but the "Greenboy" website-links all seem dead.

Also, "Speaker Hardware", the suggested and endorsed crossover-builder, has contact links that always spit-back as "undeliverable". Fn annoying because after purchasing their full complement of xovers for a pair of 15/6/1's & Sub 15 (=$$$) they won't answer a few basic questions.
    [Anybody?:
    1. - Why aren't the two tweeter xovers (for the 15/6/1's) built with identical components, and could that be a liability for matched L/R cabinet sonics?
    2. - In Sub15, is there a problem inserting a simple "Sub/Direct" bipole switch after the jack, "Y" ing to crossover & direct to speaker?]

Any leads greatly appreciated.

2. I know Greeny. He’s off the grid. A mutual acquaintance got a call from him a few months ago, otherwise he’s been radio silent for over a year.

3. Gypsy3000

Gypsy3000

Nov 7, 2019
    Also-
    Anybody know why [it seems] G-boy advises against using screws for additional strength/rigidity in addition to the PL Premium during cab assembly?
    Purely aesthetics, or sonic considerations?

Thx

4. Gypsy3000

Gypsy3000

Nov 7, 2019
    Okay, KUNGfu; thx for info.
    So... if somebody wanted to paypal him props for his generosity with his research/design knowledge, do you know if that's doable? I'm not talking a million bux here, more like a case of beer, but it'd be nice to be able to extend "Thanks!"

Re my design questions, without the "Official" plans I'm going to combine the bits that I was able to cull online with my gut instincts. Hopefully, they'll still hit the notes when singin'.

5. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Jim Carr, S-Bigbottom and smogg like this.
  6. Not a clue, but I can put it on the grapevine if you’re serious.

He’d probably appreciate dirt bike tires more than beer.

nbsipics likes this.
  7. Gypsy3000

Gypsy3000

Nov 7, 2019
    Thanks, nutdog!
    There linking NOW... no idea what the problem was before. Oh, wait a sec'... Me; I'M the problem.
    Thanks!

singlemalt likes this.
  8. Gypsy3000

Gypsy3000

Nov 7, 2019
    Went to the site: cannot find the "register" tab. "Login", plenty, but I'd kinda' like to be registered on the forum if I'm going to make a donation. What, if you donate THEN a tab magically appears to join the forum?

I'll gladly throw 'em some bones anyway, but registering on a forum isn't typically this covert.

Could well be me. I'm getting dumber with age.

9. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I don't think that anyone is moderating the forum anymore, think it'll be a while before anyone sees your request.

10. Gypsy3000

Gypsy3000

Nov 7, 2019
    Okay. Thanks. I'll drop some props anyway @ [screaming] paypal link. Cheers

11. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I don’t think you have to pay to register. It looks like there is no way to do it except asking in the welcome forum.

There are a lot of detailed build threads here on TB. You might try asking your questions here:

Amps and Cabs [BG]

12. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    PM sent

MTN.bass72 and Passinwind like this.
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I don’t think they’re accepting new registrations. There was a thing about that I saw somewhere where they said their ongoing requests for at least some support donations for the forum went almost completely ignored so they finally decided to stop moderating the board and just leave it as it was. Which means if you are already registered you don’t need to worry too much about spammers. But if you’re not you’re S.O.L. and stuck in read-only limbo since only a nonexistent mod can activate an account.

14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I’ve built several of his and BFMs cabs. No screws or nails needed. With 1/2” plywood, you are more at risk of splitting the wood from screws, even predrilled. You can however, use small brads during a dry fit for registration as PL Premuim is slippery stuff.

wave rider and Jim Carr like this.
  15. Gypsy3000

Gypsy3000

Nov 7, 2019
    Thanks, folks.
    I received responses from the "Authorized Builders" which answered my central concerns. Ready to assemble!

A few notes:
    - I'm using 3/4" Birch ply [=11/16"], so I'm going to add 2" HQ coated deck-screws every 8"ish for added strength & rigidity.
    - Re the non-matching capacitor, presumably the substitution of 2 on one board match the rating of the single on the other and shouldn't create a sonic hazard.

I'll move future posts over to "amps & cabs". Cheers

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  16. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Probably because they aren't needed. PL Premium is amazing. I've had a 12/6 for almost a decade that has no screws. I actually built it before I had proper clamps, so I used screws to hold it together while the glue dried, then removed.

flatwound251 and Jim Carr like this.
  17. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    If you wish to join the GB forum you need only ask politely and the non-extant moderator will listen.

MCF, flatwound251, dabis and 2 others like this.
  18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    With 3/4" stock, I certainly wouldn't use 2" screws, plenty of opportunity to skew and pop the laminations. 1-5/8" is plenty long, even 1-1/2" is plenty long. The strength comes from the glue not the screws (which just hold things in place while the glue cures).

Jim Carr and wcriley like this.
  19. Gypsy3000

Gypsy3000

Nov 7, 2019
    Message received and noted, thanks. I intend to accurately pilot the holes, and not so many at that.

Where do folks typically mount the crossovers inside the cab? I'm building "True" 3-ways, so the three boards per-cab def take-up some square-area real estate. I was thinking about mounting a ply "spine" splitting the middle of the top & mounting the boards to it. It seems kinda' counterintuitive to simply mount them all on the back near the jack-plate thereby forfeiting a bunch of otherwise foam-mutable surface area. I'm wondering how much Studio design-rules apply within these cabs: be very careful with un-treated parallel surfaces.

Then again, I'm just following orders here. My experience designing and building booths n rooms probably means squat to speaker design. Onward.

20. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    with a bit of planning the 3-way xover can be built on thin scrap ply and mounted on top of the port shelf

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    flatwound251, dabis and Jim Carr like this.