Building first bass, need some help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jebthebassist, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    hello. I'm trying to build my first bass and I was wondering on what neck to get? I'm not going to build my neck because I'm unsure how to do that and I dont think I could get it perfect since its my first time building an instrument. I'm thinking about buying a Carvin neck and just bolting it on. I'm also looking for a cheap neck but one thats not so cheap that it will have waves like the ocean. I also need some cheap pickups that are decent. I'm thinking used ones might be the best choice. Any advice you guys have for me I would greatly appreciate. Thanks.
  2. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    i dont know why many people are afraid of making necks.

its not as difficult as people think. i am building my 7th neck now just for fun of swapping them around in different basses to check for tonal differences.

my point is, make your own neck.
  3. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Here's what I did for my first project.
    I bought a cheap bass and I cannibalized it for parts. Since tooling up with the proper equipment is slow going for me, this was the best way for me to enter into building. This gives me prototype with all of the parts from which to take measurements.
    I bought a body blank from Larry at Gallery Hardwoods and I took measurements from the parts bass and transfered them to the new body of my design and went from there.

Even though some may view this as cheating a bit, it's working for me. I am learning a lot about working with the wood, measurements, set up, and finishing. The end product is not finshed yet but the process is a blast! I have several ideas scetched out on paper for future instruments and it is then I will be building both the neck and body from scratch.
    When I more progress, I plan to post pictures...
    Good luck with your project!
  4. Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    thats for your input teacherguy. We'll, maybe it's that building necks isn't hard, I'm just uneducated in how to build them and to where they wont be crap, also hot to get the frets perfect. Mahrous (or anyone) if you're willing to do a little explaining on building them I'm very willing to listen.
  5. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Buy a "Carvin" neck through body and a good electric guitar or bass making book. It is a lot easier and more rewarding to handcraft a neck through bass than a bolt on because everything falls into place and bolt ons are made with machines and jigs
  6. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    I was scared at first too, but this is totally right...they aren't that hard, I MUCH prefer to make my own now....
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I would agree.. I made my first neck last year.. It's EASY!

I didn't have any trouble with it at all, and I used rasps/files to make and shape it! :p A 'perfect' neck is only perfect when the player thinks so, which is a big + for making your own. You can feel the neck whilst building it and shape it exactly how you want.

Give it a go I say..