Building first bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Steve Holeman, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Steve Holeman

Steve Holeman

Jul 28, 2022
    New to the forum and hope to soak up some wisdom. Building a bass for my brother in law. Starting with a P bass style body (slightly smaller w/bigger offset shape). String through body holes and P bass style pickup holes already routed. Looking for best place to order a good maple left handed neck (p bass style) and advice to make sure I get scale and number of frets right. Also, any advice re: routing a j bass style pickup at bridge and electronics design will help.
    Steve Holeman

Beej likes this.
  2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Welcome Steve!

It sounds like this body is set up to work with a fender precision/jazz neck, in which case you can probably order a fender-compatible neck safely. To be sure, where did you source the body? Was it sold as a full-scale? (34")

Most of us here in the LC would probably build a neck to specs, but quality suppliers of aftermarket fender spec necks include Allparts, USACG, Mighty-Mite, Warmoth, and a few others.

For routing a J pickup, I would order a template and have the pickup in hand so you can test fit them before putting router to body. Once you know they fit, I'd use the template to make a new MDF template so that if anything goes sideways, you still have the master.

For literally every step of the way, the hive mind here will gladly help you out I'm sure. :thumbsup: We love pics! :D

3. Steve Holeman

Steve Holeman

Jul 28, 2022
    LeftH PBass Body.jpg

4. Steve Holeman

Steve Holeman

Jul 28, 2022
    Bought this on Reverb from a NJ Music store. Made by a luthier in upstate NY. I've posted a question about scale, but supposed to be P Bass specs, but a hair smaller and more offset. Currently getting a feel for how my BIL likes his necks. Thinking I'm going to build a copy of the Fender Boxer Series PJ Bass w/no pickguard.

5. Steve Holeman

Steve Holeman

Jul 28, 2022
    So. I've ordered a roasted maple 'slim taper' 21 fret Precision-style neck from Warmoth. As I wait on this, my plan is to purchase the pick-up set (thinking about the Seymour Duncan - Quarter pound PJ set) and a routing template for the routing the J style bridge pickup. I'm also thinking of installing Leo Quan Badass III bridge as body has holes for through body strings. All hardware will be black and I'm doing this without a pickguard. Tuner holes are 11/16 (17.5mm). I would love suggestions on most reliable tuners to check out as I'm just a guitar player feeling my way on building my first bass.
    Steve

Beej likes this.
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

START by getting and reading Dan Erlewine's boo0k on guitar maintenance - whatever edition you can get.

THEN start working on stuff.

7. Steve Holeman

Steve Holeman

Jul 28, 2022
    That's my bible:)