1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building listening/recording/"man room" from scratch...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Saxn, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Ok, I hope this is the correct forum to post - I figured that the actual sonic space would be a big part of "Recording Gear and Equipment", so here goes:

I am about to be in the somewhat awesome position of being able to construct a music/hangout room from the ground up. i thought that, if possible, I could use this opportunity to get serious about having a room that is set up for audiophile-quality listening AND recording, while at the same time doubling as a get-together-and-drink-beer-and-maybe-occasionally-watch-a-movie sort of place. Since the ground is not even broken yet, I figured the best chance of me getting this right is to start with all of the above functions already in mind before putting up walls.

SO I was wondering if any of you might be able to point me towards a resource that describes how to build for AND test for fantastic acoustics.

Thanks much!

Greg

2. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Thanks guys! Looking forward to it, and BOTH of those forum resources are fantastic! I will check out the vid link when I get to a computer with some sound :(

After glancing through these it looks like there is anything I could ever wanna address here. I appreciate the info.

Greg

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
  4. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Much obliged, Stumbo!

Luckily, the place I will be living is almost a half-mile from the nearest neighbors (and they will be relatives, one of which will probably be coming by to jam himself on occasion) so soundPROOFING will not be an issue... and I can't tell you how blessed I consider myself because of that! That leaves me free to concentrate on EQing the monitors and the room.

I think it might be worth it to look into the book you linked, though. Looked like that might be right up my alley. Thanks again!

Greg

5. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Based my experiences helping building my house, I suggest:
    1) 2x6 or 2x8 be used for outside walls.
    2) double thick 5/8 dry wall
    3) Lots more insulation for comfort
    4)glues and screw the sub-floor to eliminate squeaks
    5) bathroom/faucet/drain-
    6) Extra wall plugs
    7) Install some 1" flex in the ceiling/walls (from various poins so cables can be installed/changed (so you don't have to have have long cable runs on the floor). I covered my access points with blank wall plates.
    8) Have a separate lighting system on it's own electrical home-run to reduce hum.
    9) Separate electrical plugs for the music room
    10) line protector at the panel
    11) Double/triple pane windows
    12) Pre-run speaker wire for specific items: PA mains, etc.

IME, the more stuff you add to a room, the more chance of hum/rattling. If you design a multi-purpose room, this may be a problem.

Good luck with the build.

6. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Ahhh, so you've been here and done this already! thanks for the suggestions. Luckily I will have a full breaker board available to me coming straight off the meter, so I will have a LOT of options for separating circuits. I have to admit that I have been pretty concerned about the possibility of of hum getting out of hand, especially considering the fact that I am wanting dimmers everywhere (I really like adjusting lighting to suit the current task/mood) and I am not sure about spending 60-80 bucks each on variable transformers. Any idea on whether separate home runs might solve the dimmer hum problem?

One other thing that is concerning me is that in all of the research I am doing, I have not found any procedure for "tuning" a room that has multiple uses. What I would like to do if possible is to start with an empty space that has good dimensions for reducing room modes, fill it out as needed for functionality, and THEN sound treat it as necessary. I know I can't be the only person in the world that has wanted a listening/media/etc room bundled together!

Regarding the rattling issue - I had not really considered that, but I will be from here forward. I bet that no matter how much care I take in trying to design that out that something will get away from me and have to be adjusted after the fact. I will plan on it.

Thanks again for the list Stumbo... 'twere a good one.

7. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    +1 for Sayers. Expect to do a lot of research before starting anything. I took about 6 months to research/plan/buy materials and finish my mixing/listening room at home and I just did acoustic treatment, no building from scratch.

As a tip, RealTraps BareTraps are an excellent value for absorption panels. I did a lot of shopping around, I get construction materials at cost through my work, and I wasn't able to price out just the materials to build panels for less than they sold them finished. Just had to make mounting brackets, which wasn't difficult or expensive.

8. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    I did help another guy with his studio. The instrument and the control room did not have any parallel walls. The ceiling was peaked.

Here is a link on the topic (and more): Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm so painfully jealous of the idea of getting to build your studio/man cave from scratch.

I have more of a 'music closet' than a real music room. My music room is something like 9' x 12'.

It's way too tight in there. Once I put my gear in the room there is no room for people.

Basically I can play by myself, or treat it as the instrument storage locker and take my gear elsewhere to actually use it.

Fortunately our rhythm guitarist lives alone in a paid for house. So we mostly play at his place and leave all the heavy stuff there.

10. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Bard, I feel your pain... I have been living with not a music room, but a "music corner" for the the last five years! Have been experimenting with recording during that time and wondering why my mixes sound so crap after they leave my little area. And fugghet about a jam session at my place, there's just no way. I am solving all of these things in one shot since I am moving to a place with mondo space!

Stumbo, that link has been in my faves for a while now! After getting the idea for this project and then starting the reading process I have come to the realization that design process is going to take a little longer than I anticipated. Certainly longer than any other room I have done before! I am more excited than frustrated by that, though.