1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

building my custom jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by squiershredder, Nov 24, 2017.

1. squiershredder

squiershredder

Nov 24, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    i want to build my own jazz bass in a style of the 60s jazz basses but im not sure as to what pickup combination i should use.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    PJ with a big mudbucker at the neck. If you're going to go to the trouble of building something, make it something you can't buy off the shelf :)

ajkula66, jaybones, Ghastly and 3 others like this.
  3. squiershredder

squiershredder

Nov 24, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    like a musicman humbucker? what would that sound like?

4. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    I was thinking more like a DiMarzio model one or something of that ilk. Something you can blend in to just add meat and you get a vintage Gibson vibe too, to go with your vintage Fender J sounds. You can go the mudbucker route, that classic sound, or blend it onto a solo'd bridge J to give you a wide range of tones.

TonyP- likes this.
  5. squiershredder

squiershredder

Nov 24, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    that sounds pretty interesting. if i were to do that, would i need any kind of active circuit or preamp?

6. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    you using something like Warmoth or building from scratch?

TonyP- likes this.
  7. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    You could do it passively. I built a 3 pickup bass before, a JPJ, and used a combination of a toggle switch and a blend pot but, since I was using EMGs for it, put in an EMG EQ too. I fed two pickups into the 3-way and ran the output of that into the blend with the other pickup. You could easily do a vol-vol-vol-tone setup if you wanted it simpler. Since it's a custom build, I say try something different and have fun.

Ghastly likes this.
  8. squiershredder

squiershredder

Nov 24, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    im using warmoth for the basic routing and the neck but im doing everything else myself

MordBass likes this.
  9. squiershredder

squiershredder

Nov 24, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    i think ill try a 3 pickup set but ill first try it in my squier then see if i want to put it in my build

Doctor J likes this.
  10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    What tones are you trying to cop, and what else do you own? I think PPs are over-rated. Are you thinking P with extra cajones, or in general the J overtones?

11. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Personally I like jazz basses with jazz pups... but honestly, anything you do will be fun if you stay away from stuff you can get off the shelf. Have fun with wood combinations etc.... I had spec'd one out from them two years ago but wound up falling in love with a Lull that I played in a shop.
    I was gonna do Bubinga body, Wenge neck, Ebony board, no inlays, all black hardware, Bartolini pups, J-retro Preamp.
    Warmoth is awesome but as most will tell you, the resale value is terrible so make sure that youre getting something that YOU want and will keep... that way its not about the money.

squiershredder likes this.
  12. squiershredder

squiershredder

Nov 24, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    right now, im pretty into my squier jazz bass but with this build im thinking about some new sounds but im not sure what i want to accomplish

13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you like the tone of the jazz, consider a PJ. It allows to have the P tone, which pretty much will always fit in any band context, but allow you to roll in some of the J growl. Can you borrow a P to play with your band?

MordBass likes this.
  14. squiershredder

squiershredder

Nov 24, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    yeah i need to see how my j bass compares to a pj in my band, then from that ill figure out what i need to do in terms of tone

Duder likes this.
  15. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I say dual reverse P’s!!

16. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    P/Humbucker... like Nordy's NP4 and their Big Split.

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    610AA3F5-2D30-4761-A765-2F5FB99910A0. Nordstrand pickups and USA custom necks

murphy, Ghastly and Eric ER like this.
  18. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Previous: Dusty Strings harp/dulcimer building
    I love the usacg necks I have in my builds.

66676C92-F68F-47B2-ADC7-4A68E7473B13.

murphy and bikeplate like this.
  19. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    How about combining Doctor J and Trevor's suggestions? Mudbucker with a reverse P.

20. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    What tone are you seeking to produce from the bass you are planning to build?