1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

building my first bass- advice

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by braz_b2, Mar 27, 2009.

1. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
    I really want to build my first bass this summer. So i figured I'd post to find out the do's and don'ts.
    First off:
    --I've never really built a bass. Actually never done much at all in that area. I guess I've took apart and put together an old one... thats the extent of it though
    --I need to know what exactly i'll need. I'm not building the body, i'll probably buy a body, and use an old neck i have (from my first bass.. a silvertone.. lol) is that not a good idea?.
    --I want a P bass body, and the neck i have for is made to a fake P bass specifications.. will it fit?
    --Pickups? whats best? worst? a bargain? I love the EMGs on my shecter
    --How much am i looking to spend?(remember I have a neck with tuners,)
    --and hit me up with some creative ideas you have been wanting to try.

Thanks everyone who posts... if someone could type up the list of things i'll need that woud be great
    ps.. is it home painting out of the question.. i kind of want sunburst..
    Braz

2. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    I don't think this would be considered a "build". The neck thing is tricky. Not all companies that do p basses make every detail fender compatible. "Random body + random neck = perfect neck fit" doesn't sound that likely to me. Do you have access to many tools, what tools? making a body is not hard.

3. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
    I'm sure i could find the appropriate tools for building one.. I really dont trust my self drilling the pickup spaces and things... maybe though.. would building a body be cheaper? or visa versa?

4. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
    also i think a natural finish would be awesome... so u got me thinking about this

5. Well, I am building my first bass myself (from scratch) and I never even assembled a bass.. so I absolutely think it's possible and you should go for it. But don't expect it to be cheap. If you make something yourself, you have to have the right tools, or buy them. So in a way, it is 'cheaper' to just buy a body, but.. then you do not have the fun of building it. (I buy all my wood planed and somewhat to the right dimensions.. and it cost me about 400 dollars for this bass. I have spent the same amount on tools and I still have to buy all the hardware and electronics.. to give you an idea)

6. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
    what are the exact supplies needed?

7. Well, there is no such list as the exact supplies. You can do every step in a hundred different ways. I think the most important tools are a jigsaw, router, sanding paper, files, a hand plane, a drill and not to forget a ruler, square and a pencil.. then you can make building easier with a belt sander, a band saw, a table saw and lots of other larger power tools.

I suggest reading a book (I like Martin Koch's guitar building book) to find out yourself. This did teach me the basics of guitar building and it explains step by step which tools and parts you will need and for each step one to three options how to take care of it.

I wish you good look and I'm sure once you've started, you can't stop anymore ;)...