Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building My First Custom bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcdade, May 16, 2005.

1. mcdade

mcdade

Sep 27, 2004
    London (UK)
    Hi All,

Robbie from the UK here,

Well the bass is nearly finished,just got to do the setup and wiring this week.The splitbucker Bassculture pickup is in now,Ive enjoyed building this bass and it looks like I'll be starting my first custom order aswell.Some feedback would be nice,enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Dude, that thing looks AMAZING! I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!.. :bassist: :hyper:

3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    not a fan of the body shape. BUT it looks like you've got the woodworking/craftsmanship to make some great basses. Great job!

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    +1!!!

Sexy!!

5. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    Seattle
    i like the headstock

6. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I love the body shape and that top is beautiful.
    I could get used to the headstock.
    The end of the fingerboard is perdy as well.
    The bridge and tailpeice have a nice overall shape, but they could be refined a bit further.

The toggle-switch seems a little too close to the edge of the body. In general, the layout of the knobs could be moved around a bit so they are more inline with the contours of the bass.

Fretwork appears to be top notch ;)

Of course all of this is all just my opinion. It is an auspicious start and I'm looking forward to seeing your next few instruments.

Howz about some shots of the back.

7. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I don't mean for the above post to sound negative, just constructive. It really is an awesome looking bass and I can't wait to hear it.