Building my First Custom Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcdade, Apr 30, 2005.

1. mcdade

Sep 27, 2004
    London (UK)
    Hi All,

Names Robbie(28) from the UK,Im a Toolmaker by trade and a keen bassist.Im currently building my very first bass from scratch,Its neraly finished now just waiting for the pickups from Chris at Bassculture in germany to be finished.

Ive gone for a singlecut design with a classical style headstock,the specs are as follows,

Ebony FB
    Maple/mahogany 5 piece neck
    Black Walnut side wings
    Crotch Mahogany Bookmatched Top
    Rear Maple tone block
    classical style headstock with crotch Veneer and rear wenge cap.
    Bassculture Splitbucker Pickup with passive wiring.
    My own Custom made tailpiece and bridge.
    Tung Oil finish

Some feedback would be great and its my Birthday today also

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi Robbie

That is a very interesting instrument you have designed and built i particularly like the headstock. How much time did it take building it?.All the best.
  3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I find it original.
    That Mahogany top is really cute.
    From the photo perspective, the body looks huge.
    Do you find it comfy to play seated and stood up ?

Anyway, I think you did a superb job making your first bass.

P.S: try to post some clips if you can.
  4. It looks like a bastard child of a Ritter and something else. Very cool.
  5. i like the design, very unique, were are the PUs?
  6. That is excellent, a true custom! Not a part from here part from there! I love the headstock and wow well im very impressed.
  7. I was guessing it had piezos in the bridge...but then I realized there's no output jack (or I can't see one, at least). Robbie, the bass looks GREAT (neat design, too!), but did you, uhm, forget one of the most important parts?
  8. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    No ones said happy birthday yet!

Happy B-day mate, good to see another UK TB'er! :)

PS: Nice bass!!!
  9. Man, that top is hot. It should almost have a piezo pickup, I think the front looks perfect the way it is now. The knobs could be hidden on the back, like some Ritters.
    I'm kinda wondering myself why you finished the instrument before doing any routing. All in all it looks great though.

Happy Birthday.
  10. Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Robbies started to do the routing now i think, if anyone saw my topic about my bass then this is the guy who's building mine. m :) :hyper:
  11. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I was just gonna say...
    I remember seeing this bass recently.
    I saw your drawing of your design in that thread and then you attached pics of the above bass. Sweet.

12. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Happy birthday, and it's always good to see another brit around =)

That bass is really something. Very very cool design imo, looks very original and will drop a few jaws I imagine :D
  13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Happy Birfday. Prtety cool bass, looks big though... It reminds me of a Ken Lawrence for some reason.
  14. Something else = Ken Lawrence. The tail piece is kinda like Jean's joust ken lawrence. A design that I really really like btw.
  15. mcdade

Sep 27, 2004
    London (UK)
    Hi All,

Thanks for the great feedback on the bass,I'll try to answer some of the questions.

As far as the pickups go,Im having a special pu made by Chris at in germany and this will be routed next week.I have now put a couple of 50/50 coats of tung oil on the bass to stop me me getting finger marks over it.The body size is nice,balance and sitting play are fine also.

Ive learnt alot from doing this project and Tom will be my first custom order,the shape of the bass a singlecut design for sure but with a little twist in the tail.Im chuffed people like it,once the pickups are in and we have it setup I'll put some soundclips up and finished pictures.

Im going to setup a website soon,so look out for RM Basses

16. That is an great looking bass. The bridge/tailpiece looks interesting
  17. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    It looks interesting and original. I like what you've done with the headstock :)

Apart from a +1 on the piezo pickups, I think the body shape woud benefit from a radius as well - it looks a little slab-ish at the moment.

And happy belated birthday too! :bassist:
  18. mcdade

Sep 27, 2004
    London (UK)
    This pic was taken a couple of weeks back before final sanding,it gives you all a good idea how the bass looks up against myself,dont I look pleased.

19. that bass looked ZOMG XBOX HUGE on the 1st set of pics but it looks very nice when you are holding it.
    looks great, I really like your design.
  20. Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    WOW, i thought it looked nice in the first pics, the proprtions are perfect, now im really glad your making me one :smug:

any news on the inlay robbie?