Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building my first custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Instigator, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Instigator

Instigator

Nov 5, 2003
    Canada man!
    hey, i'm looking to build a bass, but i know absolutly nothing about it. and when i say nothing, i mean nothing. less than something, nil, nadda. take what you think when you hear me say nothing, subtract it from itself,a nd that's still more than i knwo about building basses. so i want to knwo a few things specific, and then anything else you would deem relevant. first, i want to know how much the shape of the body effects the sound it creates. second, i need to know what type of wood to use. i'm looking for something i can play anything on, but mainly punk and blues, so it needs to have a realy deep, growly sound. also, i need to know what kind of pickups to use, and how many. my plan was to put on four, 2 which would be optimum for punk, 2 which would be primo for blues, and have a toggle switch, so i guess i'd also need to know if that woudl be realistic. please, suggest the best materials you can think of, and i'l just work my way down from there, till i find something in my price range. i will presently have a rough copy of my design for the body, so you can rip it up/ praise it, as you see fit. any advice is welcome!!!!!!

2. Buy Melvyn Hiscock's book: How to build an electric guitar

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    On the second page of this forum find a thread entitled "Warmoth vs. big company pre-made bass" (or something like that) and you will find info on this very subject. There are other threads on this topic as well. Using the search option on these forums can save you time waiting for answers and save you from having to read snide, sarcastic responses.