1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Building my first Warmoth, check out my body!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JGR, Aug 27, 2007.

1. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p252/jonathangreiner/B815a.jpg

It's mahogany with a burl top (i think it is redwood??, can't remember) and weighs in at 4.1lbs. There was something about this body that kept calling to me.. I've never seen a top like that and the weight looks great. I'm gonna finish it with tru-oil.

I ordered a maple/brazilian rosewood neck for it was well finished in a vintage tint.

Hardware (chrome) will be Hipshot ultralight tuners and 3-string retainer, BAII slotted bridge, SD hot jazz pickups in vol-vol-tone arrangement.

Pretty excited to see what the mahogany adds to the tone compared to the normal alder/swamp ash J's I have. Hopefullyt it will balance well with the ultralight tuners and BAII..

I'll posted picks when she is all done.

Cheers,

JR

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Ooh, that's N-I-C-E. Good choice.

3. ElectroStompbox

ElectroStompbox

May 20, 2007
    thats a beautiful work of art........nice

4. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    congrats dude. I have been considering taking the plunge as well. I have acctually been riding the fence for a while. I look at the warmoth showcase site and the $'s grow quite rapidly.

5. JebSmells

JebSmells

Jul 23, 2007
    UK
    Wow, that's damn nice!

6. Was that the one from their showcase? I think i remember it having a ridiculous price tag. Regardless, it's a beautiful body and I can't wait to see what you do with it!

7. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    yeah, it was, and yeah it did - $479 :eek: . Total cost will end up being $1100-1200 but I really feel it will be worth it (not factoring in re-sale of course).

JR

8. that kind of body needs a clear and no pick guard. anything else might cause an aneurysm

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    NICE! I thought about picking up that body, myself. I can't remember what the top is, though, and I was just checking it out the other day! Was it Camphor, or Amboyna? May not have been either.

10. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    definately no pickguard!

11. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    ah, yes - it was camphor burl - thank you! i couldn't remember as it was a bit unusual!

JR

12. That is beautiful. Can't wait to see the completed project.

13. nice body!, im in the process of building a Warmoth myself and so far its been very rewarding...im sure your gonna love it.

14. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Nice!

15. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
  16. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Cool, I almost bought that body, but I went for the quilted redwood on alder instead.

I've used Tru-Oil for several Warmoth figured bodies, this one will be the same.

17. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    That sucker deserves piezo pickups with recessed knobs on the side.

18. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    It looks like hundreds of little eyes from the Gods of Mojo, in the mists of funk, staring back at me......:eyebrow:

Seriously, that is an awesome looking bass body!

19. when you say Ultra lite, you mean the cloverleaf ones, right? Those silly Y-shaped tuners wouldn't look right on such a bass...

20. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    oh yes, the cloverleaf ones! i don't like the modern ones either! they have the classic look but should shave off some weight and hopefully help the balance of the instrument.

JR