Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building my own 1X10...advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Dec 31, 2005.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    So I've decided to pass the horrid northeast winter by doing a few projects, one being to build my own practice cab, a simple 1X10. It's going to be made from MDF, using an 8 Ohm eminence NEO Driver, and I"m covering it with Home-Depot Ghetto carpet, and that's all I have...... Anybody have any advice on:

Total size or volume?

Ported or no?

Tweeter? (if so, crossover?)

Miscl Hardware?

2. I've seen those stack-lock plastic corners on Aguilar's website. What prompts you to go w/MDF? I've thought about starting a thread asking what the best material for speaker cabs; I'm curious as to whether or not there's a 'best' all-around material or if different size/confguration/etc cabs might work best w/varying materials. I see voidless Baltic birch touted as 'the stuff'. Whatever you find out, it would be cool if you post your progress(you said you were bored, right?).

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I'm a fan of solid wood slabs, or plywood if on a budget. Sure it adds / excites certain frequencies, but that's part of the charm. Makes for a lighter cab too.

If it is a practice cab, and won't leave the house / studio, you can afford to make a larger box and take advantage of either more output or lower frequency response. 1.5~3.5 cubic feet should work, ported, tailored to your woofer of course.

Then again, you might forget the output, and go with a sealed box: sound quality being the focus.

4. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    MDF seems to be the cheapes solution, and with the minumal SPL's produced by the one cone, I don't think it's too big a consideration, plus if I bring the data in, with me, the home depot poeple will cut the peices I need to size, which I guess the wont do with plywood?

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Well, you could build a 210 cab with suitable plywood and two Deltalites that would weigh about the same as one Delatlite in an MDF cab... Or choose a 10" driver that has a lot more SPL potential and/or lows and put that in plywood for about the same weight.

MDF is not as durable for portable cabs either, even if you do use exemplary constuction techniques suited for it.

6. I have plans on my web site for an Eminence Deltalite 2510 as a single 10" in SBB4 vented alignment. The cab is a Lowboy and designed to be stacked.

Link to 2510 SBB4 Plans

Link to 2510 QB3 Plans

MDF is easy to work with, but weighs a ton. Baltic Birch is about 10 pounds per cubic foot lighter. In this cabinet, that is worth about 9 pounds.

7. I've had them cut plywood before. I made a 2X8 with Cerwin Vega car audio "Stealth" series speakers I had left over from my younger-years. Worked as a practise amp. No laughing :p .

- Andrew

8. One thing I really believe in is when you are building something, or doing a project that you are going to put hours of work then hours of use into dont go cheap. spend the extra 20-30 bucks and get quality materials. Your gonna have this thing for a long time.... I hope... Might as well put the best you can into it. Buy, quality woods, even make a grill for it.

9. Hello, hello, hellooo......I am building a 2 10 out of fiberboard and was needing a little expert advice. To crossover or not to crossover. To seal or to port. I am going for portability and sound. If these two are incompatable then sound takes precidence, of course. If you have any advice and know of any resources I may find indispensible...Please help.

10. Fiber board is less than ideal for your cabs. Why go to all that work only to get marginal results from using cheap materials?

You can get genuine baltic birch in 1/2" sheets (5x5) for about $23 at a yard that supplies cabinet makers.

Choose your driver first, then build the cab to suit that driver. It is not a hit or miss thing, and if you treat it that way, it will sound lousy.

Look Here for ideas and plans on easy to build projects. If you can read English and follow directions, these will do the job for you. Recommendations for tweeters, porting, etc, are all in the plans.

11. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    Do a search on the net for box building programs. There are several that are free. You plug in the measurements of your speakers and it models a cabinet for you.