Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building my own pre and legal questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick man, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hi and thanks for taking the time to help by answering my question.

I have a Nemesis 210 combo and I love the sound. I actually like it more than my Eden Navigator and 210XST combo! I would love to make it my main rig, but its just not even close to being enough power.

What I want to know is if I would run into any problems if I tried to copy the Nemesis preamp section and put it into a rack case to use with my QSC poweramp.

Specifically, how dificult would it be to build one and where would I get the parts including having a custom circuit board made? Also is there a legal reason why I cant copy their design for my personal use? Id probably end up running this pre through a QSC poweramp and either more Eden or Nemesis cabs.

Thanks for the help.

Peace
    Nick

2. if there were any reasons chances are they wouldnt care unless you sold it.

3. Can't you just rip the Nemmy pre-amp out, rather than having to make a whole new one?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, seems to me you could pull the amp unit out, have some rack ears fabricated, and put it in a rack case. It's likely that the pre-amp circuit is on a printed circuit board rather that wired point-to-point, so many of the components will be in IC's and integrated op-amps, I'd assume.

Anyway, you can use your DI out to get a signal to your power amp. Also, you could use the power section of your Nemesis head to drive a monitor wedge and the power amp to drive a couple of 410s or something.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive considered that but the thing is I really like having it as a portable practice rig.

I want to be able to have both a practice combo amp, and a preamp for the bigger gigs in one unit.

I also might as well just bring the combo if I need a powered monitor instead of bringing a butchered cab connected to my rack.

Peace
    Nick