Building my own preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blown240, Jul 15, 2005.

1. blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    First off, sorry for the long post.

My goals here are to be able to run both my K&K pickups seperatly thru my rack gear, while still having volume control on my bass.

What I want to do is build a non active preamp that can be mounted on my bass. It would only be used to control volume. Basically 2 volume knobs and sterio ¼ inch jacks in a small box. The preamp would allow me to control the volume of eack K&K pickup independently.

Then I would run a long sterio cord to my rack. I would then split the signal and run each one thru its own EQ and feedback killer channel.

Then after the rack I would blend them together into my amp.

Thoughts, Comments?

Also I am not sure how to wire it all up. Anyone want to give me a wireing diagram?

2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's not really a preAMP. It's just a stereo volume. Let me see if I can put up a diagram for you.
  3. Wow Trevorus . . there's something really human and symmetrical about that diagram. Like two ppl doing the tango.

4. hi trevor, do you have a schematic for an active preamp with EQ, i kinda want to build my own preamp. :)
  5. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    find a book called Electronic Projects for Musicians, or any other book by Craig Anderton about electronics, and read it well. It'll get you building right away, as well as help you design a preamp of your own eventually. The digital projects one even helps you build a simple computer, albeit for MIDI usage.
  6. lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    your schematic looks like one guy has a noose around his neck
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's not as simple as throwing together a schematic, you should really do research on electronics before digging in as a lot can go wrong and often times troubleshooting is more difficult than the actual build. Frankly, for the quality you'll be able to build with no background in electronics, you can buy one for about $20.
  8. I believe Parts Express sells a guitar preamp kit now.

Oops, it looks like a footpedal job for conencting to an amp or headphones.