Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building my very own bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dog boy, Aug 24, 2002.

1. dog boy

dog boy

Aug 24, 2002
    australia
    hi everyone i am new to this place so go easy on me:D

i have been playing bass for about 2-3 i cant really remember how long and i was wondering would it be cheaper to design and build my own bass or just buy a new one?
    the problem is i am a lazy barstard of a teenager and cant get a job these days.

cheers dog boy

P.s my bass really sucks arse.

2. Welcome to TB DB!

Lets lay down some ideas here:

1. It is possible to design a bass*
    2. A bass can be homebuilt for less than a storebought bass*
    3. A better-than-storebought bass can be built at home*
    4. Building your own bass is not as hard as most people think and, yet, more difficult to get right than you might think.

And now, some ideas drawn directly from your post:

1. You didn't do an archive search on this much talked about subject.
    2. You don't have the money to buy a new bass
    3. You don't have a job to make the money for a new bass
    4. You don't have a job or the money to buy the raw materials for a new bass
    5. You are a lazy bastard of a teenager and it's unlikely that you'll take the time to learn to build one properly
    6. You are a lazy bastard of a teenager and it's unlikely that you'll take the time to do the actual work on the bass.

So, given what we have to work with here, I would strongly recommend that you not attempt this project. Your approach is wrong and that will make the attempt tedious, expensive, and, likely, unsuccessful. You should take this post in the spirit it's offered. Why should we waste time with in depth answers when you've made it clear that there is little that we could do to change your situation or attitude towards a rewarding project such as this. :)

*Subject to certain conditions, situations, skills, funding, and desire. See your local Luthier's Forum or Setup Forum for more details. Your mileage may vary.

3. dog boy

dog boy

Aug 24, 2002
    australia
    a bit harsh there but fair in some sort of way.

you have made some pretty big asumtions on my abillites ( i cant spell very well but i do have lots of skills in other areas). i said that i was a lazy barstard of a teenager but if motivated teenagers can do just about anything they want given the right direction. i can get a job if i want as i have a fair few accreditations to my name, i have a good school report history and lots of skills. i could buy a bass but then i would get the experience out of making one, which is the main reason why i have thought of this project. i have just read my post, i am a dick head! thank you for setting my head straight.

thanx dog boy

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Whoa. A bit too much caffeine we've had today, have we. :p

He's right, if you're not in the right state of mind to build a bass, then dont even waste your money and time to attempt it.

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    www.mimf.com

im going to just start spamming this in every 'build a bass' thread ;)

6. OK DB, fair enough. BTW, I didn't make any assumptions about your abilities. I'm sure your teachers have told you all you want to hear about your ability. To tell you the truth, I got a lot of that when I was younger too! :)

But back to the subject. If you've got the head for it and some simple tools, you can build your own. You can even do something in-between like build just a body and transfer all of your hardware over while maybe upgrading a few pieces as you go. The most difficult part is building the neck but, like anything, it can be learned. Fortunately, buying a cool aftermarket neck or getting a take-off from ebay is very easy and is a good place to start a design from. I don't know what bass you are playing now but it's neck might be good enough to build around. You be the judge.

I don't know where your at in the world but one other thing to consider is buying a bass that breaks the cost/feature/sound barriers that inexpensive basses usually can't touch. Is there such an animal? You bet, it's the Essex basses from Rondo Music at www.rondomusic.com . Look 'em up and see what's available and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Also read the posts about Essex basses in this forum and I think you'll agree that for just a little green, you can supplant a lot of time and trouble that would come with doing it yourself.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new bass home here at TB.

7. dog boy

dog boy

Aug 24, 2002
    australia
    thanx for the advise

Ham the neck on my bass has heaps of dead spots and it feels like a peice of crap to play so i am going to have to buy a whole new neck.
    i have some of the tools to do it and the more exotic tools i can get from my school.

what wood would have alot of deep tone and sustain?

cheers dog boy

8. Deep tone and sustain could come from mahogany, koa, walnut, or maybe even ash.