Building Rickenbacker 4080

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by IndifferentBass, Dec 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. IndifferentBass

IndifferentBass

Apr 10, 2014
    Hi all,
    I'm looking at building a Rickenbacker 4080 (4 string bass on top; 6 string guitar on bottom). Does anybody know where I can get measurements by any chance please? I've never made a guitar before and would really like to try this one.

Thanks!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Quite an undertaking for a first. There are older build threads on here you may want to read through before attempting it.

IndifferentBass likes this.
  3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    NO accurate commercially available plans exist for one of these guitar/bass doublenecks. Your best best will be to find a high resolution photo of one, or a Ric bass and guitar separately, and photoshop together a scaled drawing using known dimensions. I wouldn't recommend this as a first build, its really building two guitars, and the hardware alone will be really expensive. I'm currently building a Ric bass clone, and I'm already over $800 into it. Its my third build, and kicking my ass. Neck through builds are not for the faint of heart.

4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Coincidentally, a TB member Canada Neal is having a 4080 built in another thread in Luthiers corner. He has a couple decent dead on photos, maybe he can share a link with you. The Ric bass bridge dimensions are available , and can be used as a scaling device to accurately enlarge a good quality photo. There is always some parallax distortion, but that would get you close.

NealBass likes this.
  5. IndifferentBass

IndifferentBass

Apr 10, 2014
    Thanks y'all. I really appreciate the help! :)

6. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    I admire your desire to build one. But yeah, that is a monster goal. keep us informed.

rtav and IndifferentBass like this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Check out the Rutherford doubleneck on the Davis Guitar Works website. I like this version best of any I've seen with the cat-eye f hole guitar on top. Not a bad photo if you are looking for scale reference. I hate to think what he has to charge to make one of these....
    Davis Guitar Works :: Rickenbacker Restoration and Customizing

IndifferentBass likes this.
  8. IndifferentBass

IndifferentBass

Apr 10, 2014
    Wow those look amazing. I've seen tons of photos on here with the bass on bottom, but I thought Geddy's was on top with the guitar on bottom. Is it easier to have on the bottom or is there like a technical reason for it?

9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I don't think there is a technical reason, just preference. It looks more balanced to me with guitar on top, with the long bass neck below. A little true story:
    I briefly worked in a guitar store in San Diego in 1980. They were a Ric dealer, and had a really good Ric tech on staff. Rush was playing at the San Diego sports arena, and I had a scalped ticket. I had to work until 6:00 store closing,and the the concert started about 8:00, so I was chafing to get out the door. A guy (Geddy's guitar tech) comes in with a HUGE guitar case looking for some kind of replacement part for what turns out to be Geddy's doubleneck bass/guitar. The guitar tech let us peek inside the case for a second (but no touching!). I remember it was grungy as hell and had the knobs all taped up with gaffers tape, a total road monster! I got to see him play it on a couple tunes (Xanadu maybe??) later that night. I had never seen Rush, and wasn't really a fan, but I bought the scalped ticket on a whim, and left the concert a new disciple in the Church of Geddy. The guy is a freak! Simultaneous lead singing, bass, and keyboard or moog pedals, never seen anyone who could do that before or since. I hate to think what that thing weighs, which maybe explains why he doesn't use it much.

10. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Great story. The band really was at a peak (in some ways) back then. I first saw them in 78 and then twice again in the next few years. The dueling doublenecks were very photogenic. They choreographed their movements very well in those days. I'll have to pull out my slides to see if i have some decent shots.

IndifferentBass and Gilmourisgod like this.
  11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I'd forgotten about Leifson with the double neck too! My eyes were on Geddy, at least what I could see from the nosebleed seats. I saw Plant & Page many years later, and he dragged out the double neck SG for a couple tunes. I saw Genesis in the Phil Collins days, but Rutherford was playing the Shergold double neck by then, not the Ric.

12. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeppers.
    All those guys understood the "theater" aspect of their live shows.

13. spectorns6

spectorns6

Jan 5, 2005
    Belmar. NJ
    tmp_29579-FB_IMG_14500596011451716595056.jpg U mean one these... :bassist:

14. phi4080

phi4080

Aug 31, 2012
    FWIW, If you don’t have small hands(like maybe Geddy!?) any 4080 4-6 build you have in mind should have Strat(HORRORS!?) neck spacing for better space in upper frets - esp if you intend to USE the 6-side. I’ve had a 1980 4080 JG since 1988, and STILL wish I had more room in the 6-side upper frets. LOVE the Bass side though,still my everyday go-to.

15. Carljleon

Carljleon

Aug 1, 2019
    Email me if you are still interested

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021