Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building seperatly powered cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ebenismyhero, Apr 5, 2002.

1. my bandmates have an idea, i would like to hear any and all thoughts you guys might have
    first off i am describing these speaker cabs as PA speakers, which dont truely fit here but the idea could be applied to all types of speaker cabs

in a recent opening of out PA speaker cabs in an unsucessful attempt to figure the handeling power, it was noted how much extra space there was in the cabinet,. now i know that the space is for better reponse, ect., but an idea soon was tossed around - what if the extra space was used to build internal power amps inside of the cabs? this would eliminate the need for power amps between the mixing board and the cabs, and also make the rig that much more portable:D . now, these power amps would most likely be built specifically for the cabs, so any power amp building resources that you know of? design tips? comments? inquiries? anything?

-pat

-btw the peaker cabs in quetion are traynor ys-15p
    8 ohm cabinets, manufactured around 1970-give or take, if anyone knows the handeling it would be greatly appreciated, extensive online searching has come up empty

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Well as you said the space inside the cab is needed for proper tuning of the system...
    Portability: those cabs will be significantly heavier with an amp built in
    Flexibility: I personally would not trade in the possibility to swap amps and cabs as needed.

But of cause, there ARE self-powered cabs on the market - even one for bass (by Warwick)....

Matthias

3. It's already being done. JBL, EV, Yamaha, Peavey, Yorkville, Mackie all make powered cabs and subwoofers. You can get powered monitors too if you want them.

4. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    EBS makes a series of bass cabs with built in 300W amps that you can use to piggy back their combos or simply as a way to have an 'all in one' type of deal (only have to bring your pre and your cab). As long as the amp that's put in it is quality, it sounds like a damn fine idea to me. I wouldn't worry about the portability issue much unless you're trying to throw a 400 watt tube amp inside it. But, the cab tuning would probably be an issue....if it's a quality cab and not just one where they sort of stuck some speakers in a box. ;)