Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building some cabs, one of the speakers distorts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickj, Feb 10, 2004.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    The 2 1x12 cabinets project has stalled (and I was so close to being done too! was just wiring up the final cabinet and *bam* all done).

A 12" speaker is distorting whenever any signal is applied to it. I've gotten it down to basic leads to terminals on the amp, and it's still distorting. It hasn't been overpowered (the cabinets were only just finished). I've also fault/redundancy checked everything, so i'm 100% sure it's a problem inside the driver (bypassed the actual speaker terminals and connected to the raw copper leads).

I'm writing the manufacturer for return information, but it sucks having to wait a week or 4 to finish these (and I'll be moving in 2, hoped to have these done before then).

Any possible reasons/fixes for this? What does a burned out speaker sound like? The speaker were originally packaged in the wrong boxes so I'm wondering if they were wrong/broken/tampered, etc.

Thanks

:help: :help: :help:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Push on the cone. Make sure it travels straight. If it makes a grinding noise, the voice coil is damaged. If you got it that way, talk to the manufacturer and see what they can do.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My guess is that the spaker has taken a hit while in transit that was hard enough to nake the whole assenbly move off centre. I'd be returning it too.

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Some speakers have a vent type hole in the center of the magnet in the back. These will usually be covered with tape to prevent excessive cone movement during shipping. If you have this, make sure the tape is removed. Leaving the tape on will make the speaker "fart" when any real power is put to it.