Building speaker, got a quick question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RJSBASS, Aug 10, 2005.

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    Hey, i play bass and i got a question. When you buy a subwoofer, like a 12inch Eminence for instruments, does the woofer come with cables to plug into an amp head? Or does the woofer just come with the cone and nothing else.

Example :

I'm planning on getting that and making a speaker for my bass guitar
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No cord if you buy a raw driver. No jack to put on in, either. No wires for the inside connection of the cabinet. No clips, no crossover, no plates, corners, carpet. No nothing, except for the driver itself, or "cone" as you so unelegantly call it.

To be frank, if you have to ask this question, you are going to have a very, very rough time building a bass cabinet that doesn't sound like stinky fish.

Do a search for Thiele/Small Parameters and learn a bit before you buy a raw driver with the intention of making your own bass cabinet.
  3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The driver comes raw, you supply the enclosure.

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    If you have decent amp head and you got the cables running out of the subwoofer, how would it sound like "stinky fish". This kid builds speakers for his bass and i've seen them, they don't look all that complicated, a box around the woofer with that jack coming out the back to plug the amp head into. It sounds great. Is there any place that can walk me through building one?
  5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

There is a link in my sig to cab rebuild that
    may be helpful to you. If you read it through
    start to finish, it may address many of your
    potential speaker building questions, other than the basics
    of soldering, wiring and so forth.

( I figured I would post it as I plan on taking the link out ..)
  6. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I have built over a dozen cabs I imagine, and I am still a little fuzzy on the 'basics of sottering'. :)
  7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes, it's called a b-o-o-k. Google up any one of the dozen or so that deal with loudspeaker design and construction.
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It would probably be worth doing a thread on, as a lot
    of people seem daunted by soldering, heat, fluxes,
    solder flow and preventing 'cold joints'.

Practice makes perfect in this area, for sure.
  9. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK

First time I tried to solder I turned the caps black and ran the solder all over the circuit bord. Now I'm fine with amateur guitar and amp repair, and I'm looking into a circuit board kit - Although I've heard the acids used are pretty nasty.
  10. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I remember one day when I dropped a random 12" speaker into a random "box with a hole in the back for the cable"... boy did it ever sound like ass, and boy, did that speaker not last long. Then I found TB. Then I found out about T/S paras, and WinISD. Have fun on your adventure, just do your research, it's not just putting a speaker into any box ya want.

11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep there's more science the speaker building than you realise. A cheap speaker in the correct enclosure can sound surprisingly good. A brilliant speaker with the wrong cabinet volume and porting can sound like..... well... stinky fish.

Then once you're familiar with the science of it, you have to grasp the art part. There's lots of different philosophies and attitudes as to what type of speaker cab design works best, which frequencies are most important, crossover designs, and even the colouration of the speakers themselves.

Grab a book by Vance Dickason called "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook". It's a bit technical, but we're always here to help you understand the tought bits. All you have to do is ask.