1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

building speakers for a record player, please help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 60's Bluesman, May 8, 2010.

1. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    i got a old yamaha record players that my dad bought back in 1972 when he was in college that had seperate speakers from the turntable its self. he said he blew the orignal pair in the 80's so he bought new ones. well my mom without thinking sold the speakers like 10 years ago, so i got a really nice turntable but no speakers.

so now i got some nice car speakers from my uncle (not sure about the watts but their there for the doors) and i wanna build a cab using the speakers for the player. ive never done anything like this before so what am i gonna need to do this and how should i do it.:meh:

2. Hi.

To get the optimal results from the project, You need to know the T/S parameters of the speakers. It's doubtful that You will find them for random set of speaker elements.

Making and tuning the box is relatively simple by trial and error (but seldom feasible), but the cross-over can be a PITA to design for speakers with an unknown frequency response.

You're far, far, better off by making the speakers from a kit if DIY is your way.

That said, almost any speaker will produce sound in almost any enclosure, but make sure to protect the tweeters from low frequencies.

Regards
    Sam

3. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

You have an amp or receiver - or is it part of the turntable? See this link for building your speakers: http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-building.cfm

Personally, I'd just buy a pair of speakers at Best Buy. Or, pick up a pair of old Yamaha speakers on ebay - even if they're fixer-uppers - at least you'd have Yamahas to match the turntable.

4. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I'd throw the turntable away; problem solved.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Turntables with speakers are not highly engineered. Not good for the Vinyl if you've got any good one's left. Convert them to lossless digital copies like Wave files - 100% of the sound will transfer and be preserved in digital.

There's a site that did a blind listening test. Turntable versus CD - at first "Audiophiles" picked the Vinyl as sounding best. Then the testers burned CD's from the Vinyl - and the "Audiophiles" couldn't tell the difference between CD or real vinyl. They just liked the wow and flutter, snap and crack, and limited dynamic range of the vinyl. Which the CDs were perfectly capable of preserving 100%.