building stamina

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by tez123, Oct 11, 2011.

1. I am new to DB and have changed from fretless electric what is the best way to develop stamina for fast playing

2. jdepriest

jdepriest

Sep 20, 2005
    Waynesburg, Pa
    Get a teacher to work with you on proper technique. Doing things wrong on upright can cause long term pain. After that, practice, practice, practice…..

Attached Files:

3. lincland

lincland

Nov 8, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Proper technique is critical. You have to teach your hands proper hand position, and proper shifting. DON'T stretch your fingers like one is prone to do on electric bass. It's easy to injure yourself playing upright, and mean the kind of injuries that can become chronic.

If you want to learn to play fast, practice slowly. Shifting accuracy, use a bow to develop tone; it helps your left hand tremendously.

And the best way I've found to develop stamina is to play gigs for 3 or 4 hours. Find someone who needs an upright player for their piano trio gig, even if you don't want to solo very much. It will whip you into shape.

4. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    A good warm-up helps me hold my energy far better.

5. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Find stuff you love to play and lose track of time while practicing. Do plenty of open string exercises to practice rhythm and bowing so you can make the most of your brain (before your left hand gets tired).

6. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    I use horny goat weed and korean ginseng.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021