Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building the bass body... need help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jbabs688, Apr 22, 2005.

1. jbabs688

jbabs688

Apr 21, 2005
    I am building a bass and i found some awesome book matched wood. But its only half the thickness i need. Is there a way to still use this wood? can i book match to more pieces and glue them to the back?? I need help :meh:

2. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    What kind of wood is it? Is it something nice? You could just use it as a top, but it is actually a lot thicker than most tops if it is an inch thick. You could cut it in half and use it as a top and back with some wood in the middle, too.

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Most of Warmoth's tops are 1/8". I prefer 1/4" myself. To answer your question, though, yeah, you can still use it. However, it's said that a thicker top will affect the overall tone more than a thinner top would. You still get the aesthetics, though.

4. jbabs688

jbabs688

Apr 21, 2005
    the wood i was planning on using is a Tiger maple. it's 3/4" thick. I want to do a solid body 5 string bass. I'm new to this Bass building so im kinda stuck.

Thanks for helpin... :D