Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building the Best Avatar Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BunkGrill, Apr 29, 2005.

1. BunkGrill

BunkGrill

Apr 29, 2005
    I've read a lot on this forum about different cabs, and I've decided that the Avatar's value sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. Subsequently, I've been checking out Classifieds (Craigslist, Ebay, here) for Avatar cabs. I had decided on the B212, but can't find one used. However, there are lots of other Avatar cabs in different sizes for sale.
    So, my question is: What's the best Avatar rig?
    B212?
    B115 + B210?
    B112 + B210?
    B115 + b112 + B210?
    Some other combination?
    If it all depends on what sound I like, I want the usual: a meaty sound with punch, tone, and clarity.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have been wanting to try a (2) 212 rig. I have the 212 and 210 already.

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    My personal choice would be either a 410 + 212 or a 410 + 115. I really like the way tens work with bigger speakers. Course a setup like that would be really heavy.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    people just don't like 4x10's anymore......

5. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    Here's my SB112/B210 combo. I LOVE the cabs on their own. Tomorrow will be the first time I will have had a chnace to use them together outside my home!! I will report!!

EDIT: Both cabs, I have done the 'crossover mod' to. And both sound significantly better with that mod!!!

[​IMG]

6. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    indeed. 2x12's seem to be taking over. i loved the punch and clarity of my goliath III but it always lacked warmth and bottom. 2x12's are clear enough for me and have much more bottom.

7. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA

I have two Aguilar GS-212's that I USED to use together!! They now collect dust as my Avatar cabs are so much more portable, stackable, and useable for the venues I play. Not to say that a 2 x 212 stack isn't AWESOME, it is!!!!

edit: with that, having two Aggie 212's, I doubt I'll ever get any Avatar 212's!!!!! But, I'll tell you what, with about $100.00 to use to get a new crossover, horn and driver, and L- pad, your Avatar cab(s) can easily be the equal of Aguilar......................IMO!!! :)

LAST EDIT!!!! My Avatar B210 sure works well with one Aguilar GS-212!!!!!! I LOVE having cab flexability!! Now, with having made new crossovers' for my Avatar cabs, next step is new horn and drivers, and a new L-Pad for each, and all that will easily make these Avatar cabs the sonic match for Aguilar cabs...............................IMO!!!!!

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep...I just got the Avatar 410 NEO to go with an Avatar 210 NEO and thought that would be the schizni. It's great for jazz and blues, but not enough bottom for the funk and gospel I play as well. I'll be sending the 410 back and waiting for the 212 NEO that Dave said will be out in late June....you should give that some serious thought, my friend.

9. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Indeed. I used only 4X10 cabs since '87 up until a couple years ago. Then I switched to an Avatar with the single 15" and tweeter, mostly just on a hunch. I dunno...there's just something very focussed and "there" about a single driver. I don't need a lot of volume at my show, so a single 15 works great. I have been thinking about trying a 2X12 for other gigs tho, seems like that would work pretty nicely as well.

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

A BIG plus on on the above cab setup. I have this setup also and it's the way to go. The 1x12 does a nice low B and the 2x10 is wwwway punchy and the whole setup is very portable. I used to own a 4x10 and 1x15 rig, but is was very heavy and bulky. My current rig (like the one above) is so much easier to haul and it's DAMN loud!

11. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Yeah that's what I was going to do with stack. Except with Eden gear. I'm in the works of acquiring a 210XLT from a TBer and then I want a 112XLT. And maybe another 210XLT. Having it in pieces is more expensive, but its hard to carry a 410XLT down my stairs and get it through the door and such. Plus at practices just a 210 might be enough.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have the 2x10+1x12 setup as well. Plenty loud enough for me!

[​IMG]

13. JBalloonist

JBalloonist

Apr 16, 2005
    Franklin, OH
    I'm waiting to save some money for an avatar rig (as well as a new head) but I won't be able to buy two cabs at once. So what would be better? A 212 or a 410? I would add something else later on. I was thinking a 210 on top of the 212 or if I get the 410 put a 112 on top.

A friend of mine has the 210 NEO and I love how it sounds (it probably helps that he has a vintage all tube Bassman), but I definitely need more volume playing with a full band. Currently I just have a 100 watt combo with a 15. It gets by for practices but when we play live it doesn't cut it without PA support. Thanks.

14. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Translation: as long as you are willing to swap out the horn, drivers, L-Pad and crossover... they rock!!!

I own a Avatar 210 and I like it for what it is, but this sounds kinda silly.

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    OR vertically-aligned multiples.

(!)

Joe

16. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am right where you are!

I'd get the 212 now (75 lbs, NEO version - 55lbs in late June) and then get a 210 to go on top. Several guys here have this setup already. I'm not pleased with just using the 210, but I'll use it as a stage monitor until the 212 is ready....then LOOK OUT!!

17. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    A 1X12, then a 1X12, then a 1X12, then a 1X12!

(!)

Joe

18. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I currently have a B212, and I am planning in the not so near future to get a 210NEO. The 212 alone is pretty good, I feel that it does the lows better than the highs though, which is why I would want to add a 210 to it.

19. JBalloonist

JBalloonist

Apr 16, 2005
    Franklin, OH
    Sweet, thanks. For a head I'm considering the Groove Bass thanks to yourself, Quad and others...either that or the Yorkie XS800. Of course the Kustom is a little closer to my price range.

20. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    True, a vertical array is ideal. However, my understanding is that for it to really function anywhere close to the manner it optimally could (and what you're probably suggesting); the array would have to be very high indeed. I'm recalling Rick Tuner's work with the Dead....very tall arrays to really make it work.Wall of Sound