1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building the PA. Yep one of those

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by lowendlowlife, Dec 1, 2018.

1. lowendlowlife

lowendlowlife

Nov 21, 2015
    So talkbass im building a live rig for the band. Or putting all my gear in one pile and sorting out cables lol. 5 piece rock/hardrock covers. Mid to moderate volume levels. Hoping i have enough power to handle medium venues. BL has his heart set on a pair of 2x18" subs and a Behringer digital mixer and possibly 2x15" for mains. But I've suggested using some of my stuff before money is spent! Not doing me any good sitting in the basement right? So here's what I've got so far. Yamaha mg16/6fx mixer
    Dbx 2231 eq also Peavy q215 eq
    Ashly xr1001 crossover
    Peavey m2600 for monitors
    Peavey pv1200 mains
    Crest ca6 subs
    I have 4 p.a.s pi15.2's two are stock for mians two are loaded with ev low frequency drivers for subs. And some mutt monitors

Yeah i know it's all old school and heavy but if it works! The only thing i think im missing is possibly a vocal compressor. So what else could i possibly need? Besides a big truck and a road crew!

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Pass on the vocal compressor for now. Somewhat concerned about the EV's re-purposed as subs, though. I'd stick w/ enclosures I can perch on tripods...can't do that with 2 X 15's.

How does it sound?

Riis

3. lowendlowlife

lowendlowlife

Nov 21, 2015
    I've not had it all put together yet. But i guess there's only one way to find out. And my mistake the p.a.s cabs are the PI 15-2.2's they do a good job at the speaker on a stick thing :D the two ev loaded cabs have been used for bass and didn't do bad either.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Cobble it together, set your gain structure, and run a CD thru it. If you can pull this off without putting any addt'l coin into the project, I'll be even more impressed. I'm still running all-analog or almost-Amish.

Riis

5. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    how much do you gig and what types of gigs? Does the money your band makes justify the cost of all the new gear as a group venture? Do you have your own sound mixer or what? Is there an in-band sound guru/musician who really has his act together as a bona-fide live mixer?

If your band is doing 100 shows a year for an average of $1000 gross pay per show, and you all plan on sticking around with this group for a few years, then just do the math. A brand-spanking new PA that costs $21k, spreading out payments over three years, would cost each of the 5 band members $14 per gig ($7k/yr divided by 100 shows/yr divided by 5 band members). The upgrade might be well worth it in this case. If you do 200 shows/yr at a rate of $500/gig, then this outlay costs each member $7 per gig....etc...

OTOH, you own stuff that should work fine. If you're only doing a couple shows per month working at local bars and American Legion halls, and the money is not great, then I'd say you'd be better served getting the most mileage you can out of your existing stuff, and chip away at the "problem areas" of your PA with modest purchases if needed.

When the band's finances can justify the cash outlay, you can think about upgrading wholesale. My rule of thumb is always that it is the MUSICIANS on stage who represent the value of the act, generally, assuming the PA is anywhere near adequate. You don't need to have great gear to project a great performance. It certainly helps to have great live sound, but at the club level, what is initially more important is getting bodies in the room and keeping them there. But if your sound just sucks top-to-bottom, that's a whole different issue.

s0c9, Renaissance and Zooberwerx like this.
  6. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Dump the
    • Yamaha mg16/6fx mixer
    • Dbx 2231 eq also Peavy q215 eq
    • Ashly xr1001 crossover

and replace them all with a Behringer XR18 !

7. lowendlowlife

lowendlowlife

Nov 21, 2015
    Well bl has decided to just buy some plywood and just put everything in one box two 18"s one 15" a 10" and a horn because you know it will be so much easier to move! :banghead: i can't talk him out of it lol but my home music listening experience is pretty good :thumbsup:

AlexanderB and s0c9 like this.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That's cool. Let him be in charge of transporting it and setting it up.

AlexanderB and s0c9 like this.
  9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    What kind of clubs are you playing where you need to supply your own PA? Size, capacity?

10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Sounds like the perfect solution, eh? :poop:

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No need for dual 15's mains if you're going to use subs. Single 12's or 15's will do. If you already have equipment, why waste money? Tell BL, he can buy it all if that's what he wants.

12. lowendlowlife

lowendlowlife

Nov 21, 2015
    We probably won't get to big probably just small bars and clubs. So probably 100 people or so. I'm not seeing why two 15" mains and two 15" subs wouldn't do the job and then some! But bl wants to spend money and build 300lb cabs fine with me. Bet that will last 3 gigs :rollno:

13. combining subs and mains in one cabinet?

14. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Better hope BL has some cab building expertise...
    Putting existing subs/tops in same cabs [vs starting from scratch] requires very specific knowledge of box sizings, ports, crossovers, etc... much better left to the pro builders.
    This doesn't sound [pun intended] like it will end well :)

Frankjohnson likes this.
  15. ok... NOW this thread is getting interesting! Waiting to hear back on how the BL's homemade PA works out....

16. lowendlowlife

lowendlowlife

Nov 21, 2015
    20181202_173907. well i think I've got it under control. But lol he tool his laptop on vacation so he can work up new cabs in auto cad

17. A digital mixer that can be controlled by tablet has many advantages that make it worth the upgrade. If you are fine carrying the old amps and cabs around then I guess those will do.

s0c9 likes this.