Building the super-Squier!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tb-player, May 4, 2021.

1. tb-player

tb-player Gold Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Last week, after much searching for a short(er) scale, inexpensive, passive bass, I got a really great deal (15% off) on a Squier Classic Vibe Jaguar. Straight out of the box, it was nice. Really good fretwork. The tone was decent. But there were a few things I didn't care for...

The tuners looked and felt cheap. The bridge was just okay. And while the split-coil neck pickup had some nice heft to it, the bridge/jazz pickup was a bit thin for my tastes. Oh, and also the heavily lacquered neck was way too sticky for my tastes.

So I got to work this weekend, and turned this very nice bass into MY bass. I sanded and oiled the neck. I replaced the tuners with Resolites. I swapped out the bridge for a Leo Quan Badass II. And I replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds.

Beast-mode activated!

I took the bass to band practice last night and every head turned when I started playing. One of the guitarist's said, "That's a Squier?!?" I replied, "It's a super-Squier!"

We have an outdoor, beach-gig this weekend. This bass is gonna kill!

Yes, I did the math... I did $360 worth of mods to a $365 bass. But it's totally worth it. I have a very nice playing/sounding bass that is still inexpensive and easily replaced if something happens to it. Plus, I can keep doing mods, if I feel so inclined, without fear of ruining something that cost me a lot of money.

Now if I can just find a tort pickguard... :thumbsup:

IMG_2547.JPG IMG_2543.JPG IMG_2548.JPG

Paco Leon, MonetBass and cm3ohana like this.
  2. cm3ohana

cm3ohana Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Make it your own! Love that philosophy! I've got a few Squiers as well that I've modded for both experimental purposes or as my main bass(es). Great job!

3. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Thanks man. I'm really pumped about this bass. The whole project has been a blast. And unlike more expensive basses that I play a while then eventually let go, I'll (hopefully) hold onto this one because I put so much of myself and my choices into it. Time will tell.

cm3ohana likes this.
  4. Craig Orndorff

Craig Orndorff Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2021
    Good work. When I had guitar madness I was trying to recreate the guitar I wanted as a youth—a British racing green Squier standard Strat. I also wanted a wider neck, as I was under the delusion that’d help me with my playing (until I came to the realization I’m built for bass). So I got a superwide neck with 22 frets. But the neck I couldn’t get flush and then I realized it needed string trees, so I’m selling off the parts. I’m just not that guy, so good on you.

5. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Thanks. Some of this is new to me. I've never soldered pots before. I was nervous. But a good soldering iron and a couple of YouTube videos and I'm brave... lol.

6. Pickguards.com. Picked one up for my jag, super nice!

7. 3208E900-E6B4-4DFF-B554-D67F740BB974.jpeg

tb-player likes this.

8. Way to make it your own. Enjoy the crap out of it.

I gig regularly with my Squier Musicmaster that's unmodded except for the finish. And my Fender Musicmaster that was junk when I got it has been through many changes including a Bronco neck on it now. So I'm a Squier fan as well, rock them proudly.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021