building trades

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cronus, Feb 26, 2003.

1. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    does anyone do this stuff? im taking a class this year that builds a module house to learn the basics and next year im going on-site. im thinking about making this my career after i graduate. so does anyone do any of the trades in construction. also, does it effect the time you get to play bass?
  2. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    our singer is a free-lance carpenter...his comment is always: "I can't build at night", so he can practice, etc.
    think it all depends on what type of construction/building trade or field you go into and whether you are the one making the job decisions (like being a contractor/sub-contractor or being told where/when/what to do).

good luck with it!
  3. I'm a bricklayer/stone mason.

I work during the day and have my nights free.

But...My hands are always cut,bruised,mashed,smashed, and otherwise messed up.

I can't work in the rain or when it's freezing.

I have to work when it's sunny and 100 degrees. (or more)

I used to get muscles from doing this kind of work....Now i just get tired...

I guess what I'm trying to say is....

4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Having worked in construction a lot, I fully agree with aluminumcatfish.

5. BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Only on my own house. They "Joys" of home ownership.
  6. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I was a carpenter's assistant helping build townhouse one summer during college.

Best job I ever had.

Got in great shape. Got a great tan. Drove my girlfriend wild.
  7. I graduated from college,,, I worked part time doing work for a historic restoration contractor while I was in school...I graduated and couldn't make any money in my field of schooling, so I got back into remodeling older homes and handyman stuff...I made good money at it....Living in San Diego you don't get much time off for rain or bad weather, but you do stop all work at the drop of a hat if a good swell is brewing...Due to a slight set back I no longer do work for other people for now...I have been working off an on, on remodeling my home for the last 3 years..I am working on a deck right now......

8. I do alot of construction on my parents house. over the summer I replaced almost all the floor sills around the house. Re-shingled the outside walls Replaced the floor sills and subfloor in one room. and remodeled the bathroom!

It was the hardest i've ever worked in my life. This summer I have to replace the roof and remodel the kitchen!:eek:

This was all a good excuse for my parents to buy me a nail gun:eek: :D