1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Building Walking Bass Lines Standard Progressions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Cameronj, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Cameronj

Cameronj

Jan 26, 2009
    Kaysville UT
    I just picked up Ed's book. After my initial skimming, I am excited to plunge into it.

I ask a favor. In the Appendix of the book, there are 10 standard progressions. Ed doesn't list the names of the songs that go along with those progressions due to copyright restrictions for his book.

Could someone please post which songs those are?
    Also, if there are any great recordings of these songs that you recommend, I would greatly appreciate that also.

Thanks a ton!!!!!

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sorry, which Ed? Both Ed Friedland and I have books on Walking Bass...

3. Cameronj

Cameronj

Jan 26, 2009
    Kaysville UT
    I'm sorry. The book I have is Ed Friedland's book.

Was not familiar with your book. I just checked it out on www.shermusic.com

It looks good. I am putting it on my list for next months book purchases. I have already exceeded my budget for this month :)

4. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Hey

My copy is in my office - won't be able to get it until tomorrow, if no-one's answered by then I'll dig it out and let you know!

5. Cameronj

Cameronj

Jan 26, 2009
    Kaysville UT
    Thanks!!!!!!! Much appreciated.

6. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Does your book have an Appendix with ten untitled-due-to-copyright standard progressions?

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Don't they have stupid, leading, names like "Fall Foliage"?

Aj

8. Cameronj

Cameronj

Jan 26, 2009
    Kaysville UT
    Nope. Just Standard Progression #1 etc.
    One song has a hint in the caption below that it was written by Charlie Parker, but that is all the hint you get for the 10 different progressions.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Guilty of speed reading there, Kev. All I caught was Appendix and untitled. Mea maxima culpa.

Well, and Ed....

10. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Here's what I got from TBL years ago..

In “Building Walking Bass Lines”, the appendix tunes are based on these standards:

1) Satin Doll

2) Out Of Nowhere

3) All Of Me

4) Yardbird Suite

5) Blues

6) There Will Never Be Another You

7) Like Someone in Love

8) Autumn Leaves

9) Donna Lee

jte
    10) Days Of Wine and Roses

11. Cameronj

Cameronj

Jan 26, 2009
    Kaysville UT
    Thanks!!!!

Now I can get familiar with these prior to getting to that point.

Greatly appreciated.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    You know Kev, I don't feel too bad about this. You take the terms from the title of the thread walking bass and standards and add Ed and plug 'em into Google, they're just as confused as me. His book is the first one up, mine's next...

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Just thought I'd let everybody know that there's a Very Nice review of my book in the new issue of BASS WORLD, the magazine of the International Society of Bassists which says, in part:
    "...the wealth of information...makes it worthwhile for jazz students looking for a concise introduction to building jazz bass lines. I highly recommend this book..."

14. Cameronj

Cameronj

Jan 26, 2009
    Kaysville UT
    Cool. Did they provide you with a .pdf of the review that you can post on your site or share with us? I would love to read the article, but I don't have any local access to Bass World.

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I've got an inquiry outstanding, asking permission to reproduce the article on a couple of websites and using it on bulletin boards like this one, but I haven't heard back.
    I'll check to see if your e-mail address is accessible from the board here and send you a pdf of it.

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I haven't heard back from the ISB, so here ya are. If there is a belated concern, lemme know and I'll yank it...

BASSWORLDreview.

17. Cameronj

Cameronj

Jan 26, 2009
    Kaysville UT
    Thanks!

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo