Building your own cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazyphil, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Is this possible? I have some old subs from my car (2 8ohm 12" subs) and was thiking of maybe using them in a test setup at home. Is it possible to create a cab? I'd get either a 4 ohm or 16 ohm load out of them.
  2. Car subwoofers do NOT make good bass guitar cabinets. You either have no volume, as they are very inefficient when it comes to converting watts to sound. Or you have to get a 1,000+ watts amplifier and a speaker that can handle it.

I'm using HiFi subs and a 480 watts amp and I just barely get by on stage.
  3. Car subwoofers make excellent sounding, very low efficiency, tremendously power hungry bass cabinets.

I use two 1x15 Rockford subs and drive them with 950 watts and I just barely get by on stage.

( Didn't somebody just say that? )

If you wanna go low, go for subs. If you wanna go loud, get an Eden. The two are mutually exclusive.
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Philosofist: "Anything is possible"
    Mathematician: "Anything is probable"
    Phisicist: "Anything is probably possible"
    Irish: "Anything is probably impossible, but if something is probably possible, it is definitely impossible"
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Also, car subs tend not to work well past 100-200Hz or so. They're not designed for it anyway, unlike bass guitar speakers where a 12" or 15" speaker will sound OK up into the kHz.

So if you want any mid or highs at all you'll probably need to use a midrange (and a tweeter if it suits you).
  6. :D LOL! You cracked me up there, Bruce.
  7. Joris: Hey, nice to see you back posting again.

Geshel: Very true. I bi-amp with a variable Rane crossover, and dial in the crossover frequency with an analyzer. JBL E110 handle the highs.

Suburban: "No matter how thin you slice the baloney, you can still throw a brick through a plate glass window."
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my friend has a mtx 12 sub. and i tried with my bass amp. it sounded great!!
    and only pushing with 120 watts. it was shaking stuff at only 3 on the knob. great low end.
    i plan on makking a 212 cab with this speakers to go with my 410 if i don't get a madison cab or the amp in the classifieds.