Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building your own EUB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by thehamsterman, Apr 19, 2004.

1. thehamsterman

thehamsterman

Dec 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Anyoone know how building your own EUB would be done?

i mean one that is both pizz and arco style playable,

would you just use a solid peice of flat wood, and then bind a neck to it, place a standard bass bridge and tailpeice on? or what?

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Actually, I just finished building an EUB for a customer that gave me some "parts". It came out quite nice; basically a copy of the "Fichter" EUB.
    Here's the short parts list...

Unvarnished replacement Engelhardt neck.
    Rosewood fingerboard.
    Slab o' wood.
    Obligato strings.
    Underwood/Shadow pickup.

PM me if you are still interested ;) There is some previous thread about this topic. I'm too lazy to list the link for you...

3. Bob Gollihur posted a fairly exhaustive page on his site concerning the building of his EUB. Might be helpful.

4. I have a homemade one, although I didn't make it myself. The guy's name was Marty Turkis, approximately. Here is a picture.

He basically took a 2x4 (!!) and shaped the neck until it was close to his upright's neck. The body is a 3 inch thick chunk of mahogany. It weighs like 25 pounds! This is prototype #2. Prototype #3 was a hollowbody.

I recently had some more work done to it, sealing the fingerboard with epoxy, (fir is not such a good fingerboard material. In fact, it's not such a good neck material, but the neck is pretty thick and seems to withstand the stress of strings) new, recessed tuners, added a little side thing to lean on (drilled two holes in the body, inserted a wire frame) and made the peg more solid. The peg slides through a block of ebony now. I forget what the old block was made of, but it was weak, and without the side support, the stresses of maintaining position were cracking it. Also, he re-planed the fingerboard and it made an unbelievable difference in playability. From ~impossible to breezy. So apparently, knowing what you're doing helps! But you can put together an EUB like this for three hundred bucks, probably.