Building your own EUB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by thehamsterman, Apr 19, 2004.

1. thehamsterman

Dec 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Anyoone know how building your own EUB would be done?

i mean one that is both pizz and arco style playable,

would you just use a solid peice of flat wood, and then bind a neck to it, place a standard bass bridge and tailpeice on? or what?
  2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Actually, I just finished building an EUB for a customer that gave me some "parts". It came out quite nice; basically a copy of the "Fichter" EUB.
    Here's the short parts list...

Unvarnished replacement Engelhardt neck.
    Rosewood fingerboard.
    Slab o' wood.
    Obligato strings.
    Underwood/Shadow pickup.

PM me if you are still interested ;) There is some previous thread about this topic. I'm too lazy to list the link for you...
  3. Bob Gollihur posted a fairly exhaustive page on his site concerning the building of his EUB. Might be helpful.
  4. I have a homemade one, although I didn't make it myself. The guy's name was Marty Turkis, approximately. Here is a picture.

He basically took a 2x4 (!!) and shaped the neck until it was close to his upright's neck. The body is a 3 inch thick chunk of mahogany. It weighs like 25 pounds! This is prototype #2. Prototype #3 was a hollowbody.

I recently had some more work done to it, sealing the fingerboard with epoxy, (fir is not such a good fingerboard material. In fact, it's not such a good neck material, but the neck is pretty thick and seems to withstand the stress of strings) new, recessed tuners, added a little side thing to lean on (drilled two holes in the body, inserted a wire frame) and made the peg more solid. The peg slides through a block of ebony now. I forget what the old block was made of, but it was weak, and without the side support, the stresses of maintaining position were cracking it. Also, he re-planed the fingerboard and it made an unbelievable difference in playability. From ~impossible to breezy. So apparently, knowing what you're doing helps! But you can put together an EUB like this for three hundred bucks, probably.