Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building your own (from warmoth, etc.)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Feb 12, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i'm sure some of you here have built your own using warmoth/other places parts. how did it turn out, and how much effort, skill, and time was required? also, a big part of it, how much did it cost?

it doesn't seem like it would be all too tough. get the neck and body from warmoth, pups from bestbassgear or some villex, and then hardware/electronic parts. i can eve get my teacher to help me do all wiring.

its either this route or getting myself a fender roscoe beck iv, cos i'm in love. :D (played one today)

so help me out :)

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They turn out great if you know what you're doing and put plenty of time and effort into them. They're only as good as the effort and time you put into it.

I've played some that Nino Valenti has built and they are phenominal intstruments, however building from Warmoth could cost you an arm and a leg depending on options.

3. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    yea. if you do it right it can be relativelt cheap. but also, wasting the money and screwing it up would make one want to kill themself.

time for a risk-reward assessment! :(

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Unless you do ALL the finishing yourself, you're looking at a few hundred dollars of wood, plus all the hardware and electronics. Looking as conservatively as can be, with no finish:

Body: 170
    Neck: 167
    Hardware incl. tuners, bridge, etc. around $50
    Electronics: around $50 and up.

Without ANY finish and only the cheapest hardware and electronics, you're looking in excess of a MIM Jazz Bass.

Warmoth is not by any means a way to save money.

5. warpdrive music sells finished mighty mite p-bass bodies for $60 and necks for $90-$120. you might want to check with them if you have your heart set on buildin a bass.

6. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    well, i'm actually looking to make something "higher end"...

i don't mind spending 800-900 dollars, but i want to make sure it comes out right. what are some common problems...

say if i get a body, have it finished, and get all the parts.. PLUS i have a teacher who's pro at electronics wiring... how much could go wrong?

then i can take it to a guy locally for a set up and adjustment...

seems pretty fail safe? all i'd be doing is bolting the neck onto the body and throwing on a pickguard. could probably have the set up guy install the bridge and tuners/nut.

it seems cool.. plus, its a completely "custom bass" without a price tag thats "custom"
    i really don't know. is there any one who actually has a parts made bass and has pics/sound clips, to see how it turned out?

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My Tele project cost 1300-1500 bucks...and took the better part of a year to complete.

Neck and body came from USACG (3.6lb swamp ash body, 1pc maple neck, brazilian rosewood board all specs on neck custom), and additional hardware and work was done by:

Mark Jenny (finish neck/body)
    Angela guitars (electronics, hardware)
    Callaham (hardware, clay dots)
    Gregg Rogers (more hardware)
    Seymour Duncan
    Dimarzio

Here's the end product:

[​IMG]

8. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    thats beautiful.. vintagely beautiful.

i'm looking for vintage look myself, but a vintage that can play modern slap/tapping and still sound good.

and i always wanted a thunderbird shaped bass.... but i don't feel like giving gibson $1700, cos slap on a gibson just doesnt happen too often, from what i've seen.

9. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I built a warmoth Tele bass with a JJ routing, It ended up costing alot more than it should've. Let me tell you now, if you're an amateur builder, and really have no exp. Don't built it yourself. Buy a different high end bass (ken smith i think is what they're called- good "cheap" jazzes there- some go for under 1k). But my bass ended up costing about 1500. I got the body carved top body with a Dye finish and a quilt top. The body is absolutely gorgeus, and I would not trade it at all. The neck... the neck... rawr. I hate the neck with a buring passion. Such a great body- then you get to this bassball bat (no pun intended) of a neck. Me and my smaller hands prefer the smaller sized Geddy / Modulus / Not warmoth necks.

But the tone on the jazz... absolutely awesome. Made it all worth it. But when i find that right jazz neck (hopefully a geddy :) it'll all be worth it even more).

Also if you're set on warmoth. Call up nino, have him make you something special. It'll end up being easier and probably cheaper since you won't have to pay for all the set up, and all your time.

Dan

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

The fun of that guitar is that on the exterior it's 100% 1964 spec. The finish is ice blue metallic, and the clear coat has been aged to match the appropriate yellowing making it that green color (all nitro-cell, of course). All parts are 1964 specific (clay dots, BR fretboard, neck measurement and contour, threaded saddles, tuners etc.)...and it's all cloth wired on the inside with the right pots and such.

BUT it's made to be a Tele killer. Its superlight, super resonant swamp ash body (spec would have been alder) and the pickups are Seymour Duncan Broadcaster (higher output, more 'body') in the bridge position and a DiMarzio Twang King (good tele character without mud, more balanced tonal range, high output to match the SD Broadcaster) in the neck.

Neck measurements were averaged from a pool of early to mid-sixties Teles...several dozen real measurements plus several dozen from the Telecaster book. Tommy took a couple from 57-58 Gibson Les Pauls for effect too. I got many from the TDPRI board where I posted a request for measurements and detailed pictures of 64s.

Sheep in wolf's clothing.

11. The reason I chose to go the Warmoth/Custom route, is simply because Fender wouldn't make me what I wanted. No unlined fretlesses? Warmoth it is! My project is going to run me about the same price as a brand new Stingray, but like BurningSkies' Tele, its sheep in wolfs clothing.

Jazz Style Body/Neck
    About 6 pound Swamp ash body(black finish)
    Fretless unlined Maple Neck
    Bartolini CB J pickups
    Badass II Bridge
    Hipshot Ultralite Tuners

Still waiting on the neck to come in, but I'm confident that it'll be quite the individual piece.

12. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    nino lives 25 minutes from me.. probably worth it. especially cos i can get custom spec'd necks/bodies from USACG thru him. and i can try everything out and be right there whiel he does his work...

btw, dude, your band kicks ass. definitely makes me feel like my band actually has a threat somewhere out there. all of the stuff around here is suffering from "lack of talent-itis". awful disease...

hurts my ears a lot. if u ever need a band to tour with, definitely talk to me. we'll have a website together pretty soon. we just got a new drummer, and we're recording this week.

13. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i can have the electronics wired for free.

however, how hard is it to install the bridge/tuners/neck onto the body?

if it isnt too tough, i'll do it myself.

14. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I have a blog going on right now about my attempts to built a P Bass.

http://www.midiasylum.com/pbass

It hasn't been updated in a week because my house has become an epidemic zone of little daughters with colds, but I will be posting shortly about my first time soldering, my problems finding a pickguard that fitsm and my bridge placement debacle.

It's actually going quite well, but the blog has all the prices and many photos, so you can judge for yourself.

15. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    its lookin good man. thats a great body for 110 bucks.

id have the benefit of having bridge pre routed, and a first rate tech teacher helping do all shielding/soldering.

so that helps a lot.

16. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I'm taking up my Warmoth Gecko project again after I get an all tube amp. I have the neck and the rest is planned out.

Gecko medium neck:Wenge, Bubinga, Ebony..........$420
    Swamp Ash Body with Ziricote top.......................$340 +/-
    Bartolini Pickups (MM and J)................................$230 +/-
    Bartolini NTMB.................................................$150
    Kahler Tremolo Bridge.........................................????

All in all, I'm looking at well above $1300. Add tax to that with exception to the neck (which I ordered neck bolts, a grapghite nut, and tuning machines with).

By the way, does anyone know if the Kahler bass tremolo is back in production? It has it on their site, but not even Allparts carries it.