Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building your own speaker cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paninkari, Aug 1, 2003.

1. paninkari

paninkari

Jul 4, 2003
    Im thinking of building my own speaker cabinet.

does anyone know any sites (UK based) where I could buy decent speakers from?

Or any resources for advice on building your own bass cab?

2. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi there,

I built 2 cabs about 9 months ago using Eminence Kappa 15LF drivers. I bought the drivers from CPC, an electronics supply catalogue company (www.cpc.co.uk), along with most of the hardware. They turned out great, but don't expect to save yourself much money!

If you hang about here for long somebody'll be along to answer any questions you have (calling bgavin!)... but before anybody else says it you should really do a search. Go to bgavin's website and download his driver spreadsheet.

PM me if you like - I think I have the plans about here for my cabs...

3. paninkari

paninkari

Jul 4, 2003
    damn! i was hoping to save to money...

i had a look at CPC.. but i don't know what 'type' of speaker i would need to get...

i've tried a few searches on the net but not turned up much...

thanks for the advice

4. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I mean do a keyword search of Talkbass (see "search for: keyword" at the top of the page)

Search for build speaker cabinets or something like that. Better yet search for user bgavin and traul through all the threads he has responded to... I guarantee you'll find what you want.

5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Have a look here.........

www.diysubwoofers.org

....it'll get you started with basic cabinet designs and considerations. It is more oriented towards home and car stereo, but the same principles apply. The main difference between the pro sound/musical instrument world and the home/car audio world is loudness. Most speakers that are used in home/car audio are way too inefficient for use in pro sound.

6. Many years ago I built two 1x15 that were loaded with EVs (don't remember which). EV the company sent me a very large packet of designs. I'll probably get this wrong, but I built two basic Thiele boxes. They sounded GREAT!

The gist of this note is: EV can give you plans. Maybe they aren't the best, I don't know, but they worked.

Also, I saved myself several hours of cutting and sweeping by just going to a lumber yard with a mill. They charged me $45US to cut 3/4 marine plywood into the necessary pieces. I just had to drill and glue from there.

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Sure, EV will give you plans, and they are good plans - but keep in mind that they are for specific EV speakers. Just because it has a hole for a 15" speaker doesn't mean you can put any 15" speaker in there and get good results.

8. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    And while EV plans are good plans, they are also old plans, for conservative EV woofers, for the days when 4-strings roamed the earth.

You can also find a 1x15 cab that you like and copy the dimensions for a start. Use WinISD (free on the net) with the woofer of your choice to optimize the dimenensions and port tuning.

Nightbass

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Can I suggest you look at buying a used cab instead. That will work out cheaper.

However, my home-brew cabs worked out cheaper because
    * I managed to get the drivers at wholesale price.
    * Cabs in Australian shops have usually been shipped from the US. That practically doubles the cost to the consumer.

People build their own if they can find what they're after in commercial designs. There's also that satisfaction you get from playing through speakers you built yourself. And it's fun......