Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building your own...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 8, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    how much work, research, money, and time is optimal for building my own. i have previous shop experience, but no building experience guitar wise. are there any tips, cheaper parts, or hints/advice those of you who have dared to can give?

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    go to the luthiers corner, there are much more knowledgeable people there.

i'm trying to get one done in 2 months (with premade neck, i'm just making a body) and i dunno if i'll make it.

3. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
  4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I think you should look into buying parts first. Ive never built a bass before, but I think you should try and take some baby steps first.

Check out the luthier's forum and do searches for things that might concern you (like finishes, proper techniques for things, etc).

5. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Sudbury
    To make your own if you start from scratch to a finished product will take you around 2 months. Depending on your experience with wood working you will have to do about 6 to 8months of searching through books and internet to learn the concept of making a bass or strings instrument.
    Beside tools that you might need to buy, a 4 or 5 string bass will cost you between $600.00 to $1000.00 for wood, pickups hardware and finishing marerial depending on the quality of the instrument you want to build. Some might argue with me but that's the average price it cost me for the last 20 years to make a decent bass.

6. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i bought a used bass for all my parts, including the neck. i figured this way i could finish the bass right at around $200.

7. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Sudbury
    Then buy yourself a body from Warmoth and you are all set. But if you buy a body make sure that it is not pre drilled for a specified neck because of the scale of the neck you have now
    so you will be able to set the bridge at the right place.

8. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    +infinity

So very, very, very smart, especially if you want it to sound and/or play like some existing bass - like a J-bass, for example.

9. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Not exactly building your own though, is it...

10. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Everyone has a different idea of "building your own", I guess. I would never attempt to build my own neck, although some do. Unless you wind your own pickups, they are store-bought, too. No one I know creates their own volume and tone pots. I don't smelt stainless steel alloys, draw my own wire and wind my own strings, either.

I'm not trying to flame anyone. It's just that most "homemade" basses are really custom-made bodies with ALL other parts purchased or otherwise acquired and then assembled by the owner. Maybe a custom-shaped headstock.

11. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i like the idea of starting with a pre-fab neck. cos the neck ain't easy. at all. a body doesn't have to be as exacting, and is more open to creative influence.

i think that would work well. in my opinion.

12. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    well, it'll be my first bass, and i don't want to dive to far in.

13. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    I'd suggest a Carvin Bass kit. Great bang for the buck and great necks. A kit can cost as low $399. Check out this site and also go to their forums at carvin.com for assistance. I've built 3 kits and it was a great experience with different finishing methods (tung oil and wipe on poly )

The kits are pretty easy to put together; they're basically the B4 guitar with all the parts; you just finish the wood.

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BK4&CID=BKBN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,

Mike

14. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Well...whatever you do, don't put some fancy-schmancy exotic figured hardwood top on the thing! :D

;)

15. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I did a a neckthru of my own design using a carvin neck. The most difficult part is laying your hands on all the tools you didn't realize you would need. Won the neck in the carvin $250 a week giveaway after about 2 years of tryin, got most of the rest of the part off Ebay, probably have less than $250 total in it.

[​IMG]

I also recommend an oil finish if you don't have a lot of experience. They are very simple to apply.