1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Built a strap extender - need recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DrVenkman, Mar 27, 2015.

1. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    I recently got a Squier VM Jaguar. I like it but it does suffer from neck dive, so I've crafted my own extender (inspired by this: http://www.talkbass.com/threads/homebrew-g-l-asat-strap-button-extender.994333/). By the way, preliminary tests show this works great and the bass now hangs just how I want it to hang.

Here's my question. I made the extender from 1/8 inch aluminum. It sits on top of the neck plate, meaning the neck mounting screws are now an 1/8 of an inch shallower in the neck than before. Is this a problem? I've tried three hardware stores looking for a replacement screw that's an eighth longer with no luck, and in fact can't even find a screw with the exact same thread spacing as the original. Should I:

a) just use the original screws. It's only two of the four that will be shallower, and an eighth of an inch isn't enough to worry about.
    b) use replacements that would go about an eighth of an inch deeper into the neck and have slightly different threads (essentially cutting new "threads" in the neck; don't know if the extra length is a problem).
    c) use the replacement screws but trim the length slightly so they don't go any deeper into the neck.

Any advice?

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    If you can't find screws with a matching thread count then leave it alone.

3. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Replace neck screws with threaded inserts.
    You should have no problem finding machine screws of the correct length.

Also could be a good opportunity to learn to cut machine screws to the correct length.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I would make it to replace the neck plate and countersink the holes.

/\/\3phist0 and sissy kathy like this.
  5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Got pics of your extender?

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Eighth inch on one screw isn't going to hurt anything as long as the neck wood isn't chewed up.

7. ^^This. if it bothers you, drop a couple of toothpicks and some white glue in the hole, then insert the screw until the glue dries. Then back the screw out and install the neck and screw. Not gonna come loose. Make sure to turn that specific screw backwards until it drops into the thread channel so you won't cut new threads.

8. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Here's the extender. This is a trial fit - cleaned it up a bit more and painted it black. The bass now balances just where I want it

Attached Files:

mbelue likes this.
  9. I've seen a couple like that - it ought to work well. Nice workmanship, too!

10. NoBlackTShirts

NoBlackTShirts

Feb 23, 2010
    Those neck screws are pretty big and that maple is as hard as metal. I always disagree with people who say "Don't worry about it" but this time I'm going to say "Don't worry about it".

11. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Nice work on the extender, Dr V!

12. Looks like you're handy with metal working tools. Why not make a combined neck plate and extender on the same metal plate, that way the bolts would be embedded into the body at the same depth?

13. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Thought about it but my stock wasn't quite wide enough. Too bad, it would be ideal.