Built in fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Hi, I have a cheap jazz bass copy. It's not a great bass, but nothing that can't be upgraded.
    As a little project I have always wanted to add a fuzz pedal, or at least an overdrive into this bass. I can easily create the extra control cavity and wire it up, however I need a recomendation of a pedal to build into the bass so as I don't loose my low end. I'd love a Big Muff circuit inside but I would have no low end and it's the first thing in my signal chain...

My ideas so far have been -
    1.DOD 250 - for milder overdrive
    2. Wolly Mammoth - nice nasty fuzz, and with the low end control and the gate sounds like a great idea for me.

Any other ideas or recomendations are welcome :)
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you're worried about losing low end, why not put in a wet/dry blend while you're at it? Get the tone you want AND retain the original!
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

4. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
  5. Actually, as long as you have the Muff set on a low tone setting (mine's set at zero, for maximum bassage) you can still get a get low tone with it. Also +1 to Tim for thinking of the wet/dry control. That would certainly be a great idea if you can add that.
  6. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    yeah another +1 for a wet/dry blend. i bet that thing would sound pretty sweet--keep us posted!

7. thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    mines set at more than 3 quarters

8. i've never really had a problem with a muff, if anything too much bass. i like the boss ODB-3, compact and raunchy tone, but last night i was playing with a guitarist and my bass tone sounded more blocky then enveloping and supporting. anyways, there's my input. oh and figure out where in the bass your going to put ina spot to change batteries. important stuff
  9. SubversivePinko

SubversivePinko No use for an ironic title

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    I might suggest talking to one of the smaller, up-and-coming boutique pedal builders about a custom circuit designed with battery life and space economy in mind. Something like the Boss pedal or a Big Muff might require one honking route.
  10. ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    Hey Put an MXR m-80 in your bass, that would be awesome great drive, dub curcuit integreted at the push of a button, 3 band active pre. do it. or i will.

route out the front it'll look like a marcus miller job.
  11. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I guess I have the mind of a 10 year old, but I had to laugh at this. Reminded me of a party I attended with my friend Sami. She's a stunningly elegant Pakistani girl who was educated at a British private school in Saudi. She had no conception fo the double meaning of the word "muff" and was walking about showing everyone her latest fashion accessory: a black and white ermine handwarmer.

Picture a super sexy, exotic chick with a great accent walking up to complete strangers and saying 'Would you like to see my muff?"

I barely had the heart to spoil everyone's fun by explain what that means to Americans.