1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Built-in Tuner? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by WyrmDL, Mar 30, 2009.

1. WyrmDL

WyrmDL

Feb 15, 2008
    Hey TB,

I saw a built-in tuner for guitars (which they say works on bass too), and I just thought I'd ask for your opinions. Its ~$70, and installs fairly easily and quickly.

One thing I'm a little confused about though, is that they say it does not support active pickups - why is this?

Would it support a bass that can switch from active to passive?

http://www.ntune.com/

Thanks!

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    For $70 (maybe a little more) you can just get a Boss TU-2 pedal tuner. Tough as nails, accurate, and been around for years. Built in tuners, in my experience are clumsy to use, inaccurate, and leave you when the guitar does. I've had a TU-2 for years and years.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The only gripe I've heard on the TU-2 is that it cuts some signal (I have one too). Built in tuners strike me as silly - - the fact is, you have a built-in tuner - you ears! And many guitar players de-tune, so I prefer to tune to the other guys playing since Bass is relatively easy to tune.

4. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    My Leagcy Thunderbird came with a n-tune. I love it so much that I took it off in about 4 days & sold it for $25 ( worth about $100 here in Oz )
    Buy a pedal tunner etc

5. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    My Larkin has a built in tuner, but I suspect that it might be a different situation that what you are talking about. Mine has two LED's built into the fretboard around the 24th fret. Pop up the volume knob and the two LED's let you know whether you are sharp or flat. It's nice, but using an outboard one is usually a little easier. For quick checks on tuning/tweaks, it is nice. On stage and hear a sour note? Wait for an open string to ring out then pop out the volume knob to see if it was you or someone else out of tune.

Off topic: Why are there so many damned guitarists that can't grasp the idea that if you gig for a living, say 5 to 6 nights a week, then you should spring for a fret dressing once a year or so. Seems like they all want to gripe about how crappy their instrument is, play semi in tune for six months, sell it, go buy a new one, play it till the frets need a little TLC, then start the cycle over. Leaves me stuck with some acoustic artiste type that can't understand why he can be in tune at the nut and not half way up the neck at the same time. Oh well, bring the fretless and compensate. Rant over.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'll see your OT rant and (as a guitar player myself :D) raise you another one right back:
    :rollno:
    how can so many otherwise excellent bass players show up to the gig with no stage tuner at all and think that's even remotely professional?

7. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City

But... if I bring the fretless, I don't really NEED to tune right? I mean, I can just sorta slide around till I find something works can't I? :D

My sincere apologies to the OP for the side track.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to a pedal tuner. If the Boss TU-2 isn't your thing, try a Korg Pitchblack. TBP.

9. WyrmDL

WyrmDL

Feb 15, 2008
    Thanks for the replies! I've been looking at the Korg Pitchblack, which is probably what I'll go with in the near future.

I was just wondering about the N-Tune though, because if you only have one gigging bass, and you dont use any effects or pedals or anything of that sort, I just thought having the tuner right there would be more convenient.

It looks like it works fairly well, but I cant be too sure.

10. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    After using it for a couple months, I've come full circle on the onboard tuner on my Larkin. It isn't one of those n-tune jobbers though. Mine is evidently a Wittman tuner according to Chris Larkin's website. I never thought that I'd like it, but I'll be damned if I don't. I like it to the extent that I am considering sourcing one for my fretless J when I do an upcoming neck swap.

I'll always have a tuner at the house and probably in the gig bag, but for tuning before/inbetween sets, this Wittman is nice.

11. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    For the same price you can get a PlanetWaves, Boss, or Korg tuner that will be more accurate and easier to use/read.

12. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I have been looking at the N-Tune. It is a very clever design, and can be easily removed and moved to the next instrument.

It seems that the real benefits of this over the pedal are probably much longer battery life (smaller LEDs) and you can tune right out of the case, backstage with out cables, pedalboard, etc.