Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Built myself a bass yesterday

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Sep 18, 2004.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Well actually, maybe "assembled" is a better term, rather than "built". I purchased a Signature Jazz body from Goerdt Lamberts via ebay, along with the tuners and neck plate. Then I bought a neck from Warpdrive Music, it's a Mighty Mite fretless P-bass style maple neck with the synthetic "Ebonal" fretboard. Total investment is just a shade under $350 total.

The body and neck arrived yesterday around noon, and I was playing the bass at rehearsal by 6:00pm yesterday evening. Mounting the tuners was straightforward and then I took my time mounting the neck. I used a 3" c-clamp to hold the neck to the body and then strung some twine in the E and G string locations to make sure that the strings were evenly spaced from the edges of the fingerboard. Then I drilled the pilot holes for the neck bolts and tightened it down.

The bass plays wonderfully and the tone is out of this world. The Signature pickups are warmer and fatter than the ones on my Geddy, but that's exactly what I was hoping for. The quality of the body and the neck are really top notch, especially for the price. I also bought a fully assembled fretted Signature bass from Goerdt as well. It's a trans blue finish with a fretted Jazz neck with rosewood fretboard. Anyway, here are links to the pics of the assembly, followed by a pic of the finished product.

Shannon

http://www.employees.org/~sburgess/bass1.jpg
    http://www.employees.org/~sburgess/bass2.jpg
    http://www.employees.org/~sburgess/bass3.jpg
    http://www.employees.org/~sburgess/bass4.jpg
    http://www.employees.org/~sburgess/bass5.jpg

[​IMG]

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Looks like a fun bass! Congrats. It feels good to play an instrument which you had a big hand in creating.

3. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Oh, I do love those colors. I bought a signature body some time ago. It's currently in the stripping stage. I can't decide whether to go with lake placid blue metallic (which I've lusted after for years) or that rusty orange metallic that you see on Nissans (which I just realized would look pretty rad with all the chrome on a jazz bass).

My neck is still in the plank stage. We'll see how that goes...

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You make it sound so easy to get a sweet axe, I might just have to try it!

5. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Truthfully, it was much much easier that I ever thought it would be. It was the first time that I ever did this kind of assembly and it was very intuitive. Had I known that it was this straightforward, I would have just ordered the blue bass unassembled and saved the $$$ that I paid his luthier to assemble it for me.

6. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Bumo to the top for the weekday crew. I did a little more tweaking on the bass yesterday, shimmed the neck to bring the action down. It's playing so good, I can hardly bring myself to put it down.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for halfwound/groundwound strings? I was considering going with flats on this, but want a little more growl.

Shannon

7. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Yo SB,

Goerdt and his Luthier are putting together a Jazz bass for me right now.. probably as I type this, and I wanted to ask you....when you installed your tuners, did you have a problem, or better yet, is there something on the tuner that you had to crimp ? Goerdt was telling me about it, and thats why I let his guy do the tuners for me.. You seem to have had no problems installing yours though. I ended up going with the Allparts ebony board with no lines, but I totlally love the rosewood, and pearloid block and bound neck. It's so fine... Im thinking of buying that neck too, and doing the tuners and stuff myself. Ill just let the luthier do the nut. Are your tuners working totally smooth. I mean perfectly ? just had to ask bro.
    and D'adario are the only half or ground wounds I know of.. Thats why I got ebony. Im slappin a Will Lee set of Dean markley SR2000 on there, and I can't wait. It feals like Xmass....... Try Dean Markley. an awesome string IMHO. thanks

dude, I forgot to mention,,,, Love your bass, friggin killer, that white,w black.. smokin ;)

8. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Phatcactus, those are both amazing colors, I've been wanting to do that same orange on a bass for awhile, it's my favorite color. If you go that route, I'd love to see it, post pics when finished. Otherwise, I'd still love to see it, lp blue is a very sexy color.

9. steve21

steve21 Banned

Cool! Warpdrive music is cool, they sold me the neck pup cover for my jazz.

10. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    that seems pretty awesome. and cheap. real cheap.

amazing.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd seen his auctions before and wondered what kind of quality that stuff was...kewl!

12. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Man, you guys know how to ressurect a posting from beyond the grave! I had no issues installing the tuners on the Mighty Mite neck. I know that Goerdt has mentioned issues with large plate tuners on some of the necks he sells, but I cannot comment on that.

As of now, I'm playing flats on this bass. I use it mostly for an upright stand-in bass. We play a few Stray Cats tunes, as well as a couple old-school country-ish numbers that the thump of the flats is perfect for. I've since added a chrome neck pickup cover to pimp it out a bit more, but otherwise it's still set up the same and I'm still digging it 100%.

Shannon

13. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    How do you like that Ebonal fretboard? I've heard different things about them. What do you think of the feel/quality?

LPB metallic would look great, but I think that if you're going to finish a bass yourself, go with the orange!! You're absolutely right, an orange jazz with chrome would look KILLER! Go for it!!!

14. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    The ebonal board is really hard and bright when compared to my rosewood necked Aria. You won't mistake this neck for one from a Lakland or any other high end bass, but the fit and finish is pretty good overall for a $100 neck. The string slots in the nut were WAY too high, but a little filing took care of that. The truss rod stays in place pretty well, I've tweaked it a couple times a year as needed. The satin finish is really really nice, the "skunk stripe" is nicely done. It's not beautiful maple by any means, it really "blah" looking grain on the headstock, but for $100....... I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if needed.

Shannon